Color coding home runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jngp

I have been told that the 2002 Code requires home runs to be color coded. I cannot find anything in the code that requires this. Can anyone help?

bphgravity

Re: Color coding home runs

There is nothing in the 2002 NEC that requires color coding of branch circuit "homeruns". There are a few identification requirements, but nothing to that effect. It is not a bad idea to label all conductors entering and leaving a loadcenter, especially to ensure proper termination of multiwire branch-circuits. :)

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

I like the color coding the manufacturers have initiated,at this time nec doesnt require it but it does make it alot easier to see if the correct gauge wire is installed IE: bathroom gfi appliance circuits etc.......

s wayne cook

Color coding Romex seemed a little amateurist at first, but if you ever had to go back and yank out #14 and re-install #12 because somebody screwed up... it's a great idea!

sockie

If I am correct the only inentification required by the code is on a "High Leg" system, other than that there is no requirement. This can be found in section 110.15.

"On a 4-wire, delta-connected system where the midpoint of one phase winding is grounded, the conductor or busbar having the higher phase voltage to ground must be durably and permanently marked by an outer finish that is orange in color, or by other effective means. Such identification shall be placed at each point on the system where a connection is made if the grounded (neutral) conductor is also present"

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Nope grounds and neutrals have to be identified also..........

torint

Color codeing that the manufacturer has initiated is a great idea. The inspector can look at a kitchen and realize that I'm running #12. Also when I look in the van I can go straight to the #12. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.