Big oops ... need suggestions, updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff43222

Since my original thread has been closed, I thought I'd post an update on the job. I went over today and finally got everything working right. It turned out that the problem was that the illegal work done by the previous owner included sloppy work done on the wiring inside a pancake box, leaving nicks in the neutral wire. This resulted in a N-G short, which tripped the AFCI. I ran a new cable from the j-box in the attic to the outlet and fired everything up, and it finally worked the way it was supposed to.

That's the last time I do a fixed bid on a job where I have to deal with someone else's wiring. The homeowner did take me out to lunch with his family afterward, though.

[ December 01, 2005, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

celtic

Re: Big oops ... need suggestions, updated

Originally posted by jeff43222:

That's the last time I do a fixed bid on a job where I have to deal with someone else's wiring. The homeowner did take me out to lunch with his family afterward, though.
:D :D

electricmanscott

The homeowner did take me out to lunch with his family afterward, though.
They look like a fun bunch. :D

bb2.jpg

jeff43222

Actually, the wife is a friend of my ex-girlfriend, but I was referred by a different friend. They are all part of an ethnic/religious group that has a pretty good network. This works well for me, because they have been spreading my name far and wide, and it's turned into some good work for me.

It was a fun lunch, but Greg and Jan couldn't make it. :D

allenwayne

between the 9 of them they should h :D ave been able to come up with a nice tip

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

It was a fun lunch, but Greg and Jan couldn't make it. :D
From what I've heard, Greg really wanted to "make it" with Mom! :eek:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by iwire:If you have a post that is 100% cynical can you actually make it 68% more cynical?
If you send an invoice that gives you a 100% profit on a job, can you send a corrected invoice that gives you 68% more profit? :D

jeff43222

One final update on this job...

I ran into the homeowner at a party on Saturday, so I asked if the inspector had been by. He told me the inspector did come and look at the ceiling fan I installed, but he didn't check the panel! Sure makes me glad I went to all the trouble to install a subpanel with a two-pole AFCI to protect the multiwire branch circuit. :mad:

The permit I pulled clearly stated that I was installing a new outlet in the bedroom, so I thought the inspector would at least check the panel for an AFCI breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.