Permanently installed pools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code not clear to me in two areas and I would like to know if I could get some advice.
1st---Have a permanently instlalled pool with one filter motor, one gas heater and one underwater light.
All bonding has been accomplished around the pool and the grid installed.
Have brought two no. 6 awg solid conductors to the pool filter motor and the heater.
Is it necessary that I drive a ground rod near the motor and heater equipment pad (which is 20 feet from the pool) and tie this to the bond leads?
Can't seem to find this in article 680, though I have seen this in other installations.
2nd---680.12 indicates all utilization equipment requires disconnects. I have a sub panel (Main lug only) located and installed near the pad that will feed the pool utilization equipment. From what I have been reading in the code, it does not necessarily mean that I have to provide a main disconnect for the panel itself and the breakers within the panel can serve as the disconnect for the equipment. Am I correct in understanding the code, that no disconnect would be required for this situation.

Thanks in advance for any input.

ryan_618

Re: Permanently installed pools

1: No ground rod required.
2: No main breaker required.

EDIT: That's without getting abstract and calling your panel a structure. :D

[ June 22, 2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

kevinware

Should't there be a equipment grounding conductor installed with the two AWG 6 conductors form the service panel to your sub-panel and then on to your pool motor?? (680.25(B))

allenwayne

I can`t remember ever not having 2 ungrounded conductors,1 grounded conductor and a grounding conductor for pool equiptment.After all it is a sub panel and most lighting transformers are 120 line voltage.

volt101

The 2-#6 solids , I take it, are bonding wires from the grid to
1.) Pool Pump and,
2.) Pool Heater

(Imagine pulling that though a pipe run) :D

The sub-panel, if feed is from a separate structure, shall have a Grounding Electrode System.

If this is a gunite pool - If you would to run a bonding wire to the sub panel from the rebars, although not required, would that satisfy your requirement for a grounding electrode?

Status
Not open for further replies.