Service Contracts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

Ok, we are moving into some new territory. We are being asked to provide service contractors for some apartment buildings...each building has 40-50 units....

however, we are going to provide these contracts for HVAC, plumbing and electrical...we are good on the HVAC (pretty straight forward) same with plumbing....

but electrically, what would you all do as part of a maintenance contract like this?

annual inspection? preferred pricing? priority service?

having been in the industry for a little while, I've yet to figure out common repeatable items to put into a maintenance contract. For HVAC it's easy (belts, lube motors, etc)...but electrically?

we are trying to downplay pricing and up-play services...

any ideas?

brian john

Annual IR,
3-5 years EPM
Test Gen set and service ATS.
Offer minimum on site time for emergency calls, such as 30 minute response to calls and 2-4 hours to be on site.
Test FA system.

Buck Parrish

If you wired the building then it would be easy. If some one else wired the building. You should go through and open some outlets lights etc...
before giving any prices.
Some times helpers will pull the insulation out before installing lights. Then the tennants put in 100 watt bulbs. You will have brittle wire in the box.
Check for back stabbed outlets.

If it was wired in the late 60's check for aluminum branch wiring. Screw in type fuses, too. I would say to have an up front contract with electrical. With some type of co-pay arrangement. Other wise they might call for stupid reasons.

Then you are talking about being their in a 1/2 hour. When you get their the tennant tells you the outlet has not worked in a year.
What about the people that can't find a switch. Or some outlets work some times an other times they don't. Then you drive over and find the outlets controlled by a switch.
Then their is always the bulb broke off in the light socket.

Davis9

What is their policy on Tenant change outs? Do they swap devices and lights etc when someone moves out if needed? Hood fans, bath fans, dishwashers, stoves?

If they do not currently do so, then you may have to explain the benefits of doing so while the unit is unoccupied.

Bath fans are a big one for me for the 200+ units I maintain, seems like a couple a week lately. Swapping motors or retrofitting a newer model can be a PITB.

Visual inspection of the exterior lighting at night is a good one since safety is a big thing.

Also Security cameras?

How about the HVAC are they individual units or a common heating system?

Tom:)

emahler

my knowledge of these units is extremely limited...this is coming in through our HVAC side...and is definitely in the preliminary stages...

Davis9

my knowledge of these units is extremely limited...this is coming in through our HVAC side...and is definitely in the preliminary stages...

Well, they must like the service you provide on the HVAC front. That being said ask to see a typical unit empty and have a look at all the various boxes, fixtures etc. I'm sure you can make an educated guess:D

Tom:)

brian john

You do an initial IR and visual inspection at the start of the contract, the end user is provided a list of discrepancies you will not cover unless they are addressed at the beginning of the contract.

The inspection could include meggering and CB testing on main CB's. In my opinion you should have a firm that SPECIALIZES in detailed IR and site inspections.

ohm

Once a year you could: replace the batteries in the smokes, vacuum the ants out of the SE panels and spray, verify the ground rod connections are secure and test the effectiveness with an earth tester, verify the surge suppressors are still working (if any), replace bulbs in common areas and area lighting, replace batteries in the emergency lights & egress lights, test/replace in-use covers and WP/TR GFCI's.

emahler

You do an initial IR and visual inspection at the start of the contract, the end user is provided a list of discrepancies you will not cover unless they are addressed at the beginning of the contract.

The inspection could include meggering and CB testing on main CB's. In my opinion you should have a firm that SPECIALIZES in detailed IR and site inspections.

wanna teach us?

Status
Not open for further replies.