Residential Contractors Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

This new Federal Lead Paint Rule from the EPA will affect all trades that work in homes built before 1978. You MUST become certified to work on these projects. The full scope of this law takes effect April 22nd 2010 in the USA. Here is a link to more info...

http://hbama.com/archives/285

Here is an EPA link...

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

I wanted to open discussion on this requirement. How many are aware of this?

shortcircuit

Jomaul

it's 6 sq Ft per room. If the GC you are working for is certified and on the job you should not have a problem. A simple solution would be to have the GC open any walls up that you need to run wiring in.

480sparky

and of course we charge more , sounds like a good deal!

Good deal until the HO gets the bill.

"How much!!!?!?!?!?!"
z133.gif

Of course, we try to explain the required AFCI protection, tamper resistant receptacles, as well as their lead paint problem now.....

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
If I read this correctly it only applys to "target housing and child-occupied facilities"

Subpart E?Residential Property Renovation
? 745.61 Scope and applicability.

(a) This subpart identifies lead-based paint hazards.

(b) The standards for lead-based paint hazards apply to target housing and child-occupied facilities.

(c) Nothing in this subpart requires the owner of property(ies) subject to these standards to evaluate the property(ies) for the presence of lead-based paint hazards or take any action to control these conditions if one or more of them is identified.

What does (c) mean?

John Williams

EPA Resources

EPA Resources

Hope you find this helpful: ZipWall has a lot of useful EPA information collected in one section, zipwall.com/epa.php

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hopefully this will help some of the NC electricians. This note is from Daniel Bruce in inspections in Orange County, NC

In North Carolina the legislation dealing with lead contamination when renovating or remodeling pre 1978 homes and child care areas is under the control of the Dept. of Health and Human Services and is only modeled after the EPA standards. If fact EPA certification is not reciprocal to NC. The documentation for this can be found at the NCDHHS website. This General Statute went into effect Jan. 2010. Right now it is in the educational phase with no regulatory oversight. Local Inspection Departments may handle this in the same manner as asbestos abatement but that has yet to determined.

Dan Bruce
Orange County Inspections
EPA Rules Related to Lead Paint
EPA Renovation, Repair and Painting Memo Document 1
EPA Renovation, Repair and Painting Document 2
EPA Renovation, Repair and Painting Final Rule Document 3
EPA Renovation, Repair and Painting Brochure Document 4
EPA Renovation, Repair and Painting Contractor Brochure Document 5

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I thought that electricians only had to follow the NEC. Sounds like a GC problem right?

Does your state have something like this:

"105.9 Responsibility.

It shall be the duty of every person who performs work for the installation or repair of building, structure, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing systems, for which this code is applicable, to comply with this code."

That means ALL the rules (codes).

Do you drill holes in the bottom 1/3 of a joist? I bet not.

Would you remove something that was in your way? I bet not.

The NEC is 'part' of the code not the whole code.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Just for a second there I thought NC meant "No Clue" :grin:

c2500

Well I signed up for the $599 course last week. I get to go through 3 days @ 8 hours a day for training in early April. If the job is disturbing 6 sq ft in a 1978 or earlier structure, be it inside or out you have to comply. I am also a Licensed Home Builder, so I have to have this as most of my work is pre 78 buildings. To my knowledege, the only enforcement is with government work (rehabs, etc) or if there is an HO that complains.

There has been minimal media coverage of the new rules, (that I have noticed, just one small article in the paper) but I am willing to bet it will become very well known after April 22, 2010 by those that are certified versus those that are not. Since I will be certified, I will push that point heavily.

c2500

Last edited:

mkgrady

Let's say I'm doing work where no GC is involved. So, if I need to remove more than six square feet of wall surface in a room that is built pre 1978 I need to do the following?

Go get a training class that is acceptable to the EPA and learn the safe practices of removing lead painted walls.

Get a training certificate

Apply to the EPA for their certification to perform this type of work

Assumming I have employees, employ only workers that have the above mentioned training to work on the wall surfaces.

Do I have this right?

pfalcon

(c) Nothing in this subpart requires the owner of property(ies) subject to these standards to evaluate the property(ies) for the presence of lead-based paint hazards or take any action to control these conditions if one or more of them is identified.

What does (c) mean?

It means whoever performs the work is liable; not the party requesting the work.

Let's say I'm doing work where no GC is involved. So, if I need to remove more than six square feet of wall surface in a room that is built pre 1978 I need to do the following?

Go get a training class that is acceptable to the EPA and learn the safe practices of removing lead painted walls.

Get a training certificate

Apply to the EPA for their certification to perform this type of work

Assumming I have employees, employ only workers that have the above mentioned training to work on the wall surfaces.

Do I have this right?

Pretty much correct. Replacing any door where you need to remount the hinges. Replacing any window no matter how small. Using any power sander or any effective heat gun. And don't forget to get your signature on the notification form that you gave yourself the pamphlet.

We don't need Nazis. We have our own jack-booted thugs governing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.