Cord and plug as disconect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

Must be brain dead from all the heat today. What is the code # for W/H and A/H to be hard wired?? I know the reason is continus load and melt down just can't find the Ref #.

dcl34769

For the WH this is the best I came up with from the '02 cycle.

422.16 Flexible Cords.
(A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or (2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

WH don't fit the definitation of ready removol for maintenance.

dcl34769

Well, if you look in the right place all will be revealed.

400.7 Uses Permitted.
(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for the following:
(1) Pendants
(2) Wiring of luminaires (fixtures)
(3) Connection of portable lamps, portable and mobile signs, or appliances
(4) Elevator cables
(5) Wiring of cranes and hoists
(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange
(7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration
(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection
(9) Data processing cables as permitted by 645.5
(10) Connection of moving parts
(11) Temporary wiring as permitted in 527.4(B) and 527.4(C)

Water haeters and air handlers are not appliances, and are not frequently interchanged.

Minuteman

Article 100
Appliance. Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial, that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions such as cloths washing, air conditioning, food mixing, deep frying, and so forth.
The so forth covers a lot of ground.

Jim W in Tampa

About 15 years ago it was required in collier county fl..Any others remember them clock timers that pluged in to receptacle and water heater into them.This is what makes nec so hard to learn,they keep changing there minds.Kinda like making up rules as we go.

Minuteman

Cavie said:
Must be brain dead from all the heat today. What is the code # for W/H and A/H to be hard wired?? I know the reason is continus load and melt down just can't find the Ref #.
Cavie, it seems me that you are adding something that's not there. In 422.13 (2005) a 120 gallon or less WH shall be considered a continuous load, but nothing there or in 422.16 about flex cords or melt down.

dcl34769

iwire said:
I don't know about you but I buy my water heaters at the appliance store.

In general a water heater is not something John Q. Homeowner will replace themselves. On the other hand something like a range that simply plugs in and can be swapped out with ease.Before you reply, I know some ranges are hard wired in, then i bill them to hook it up.
I don't disagree with you, just have a different view.

iwire

Staff member
My post was a little tongue in cheek, but the NEC does consider water heaters appliances.

422.1 Scope.
This article covers electric appliances used in any occupancy.

422.13 Storage-Type Water Heaters.

422.47 Water Heater Controls.

And from further into the NEC

550.12(D) General Appliances. (Including furnace, water heater, range, and central or room air conditioner, etc.). There shall be one or more circuits of adequate rating in accordance with the following:

551.42(C) Two to Five 15- or 20-Ampere Circuits. A maximum of five 15- or 20-ampere circuits to supply lights, receptacle outlets, and fixed appliances shall be permitted. Such recreational vehicles shall be equipped with a distribution panelboard rated at 120 volts maximum with a 30-ampere rated main power supply assembly. Not more than two 120-volt thermostatically controlled appliances (i.e., air conditioner and water heater) shall be installed in such systems unless appliance isolation switching, energy management systems, or similar methods are used.

All that aside I don't feel a water heater can be cord wired, they do not fit the requirements in 400.7(A)(8)

Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection

I have never seen a larger water heater identified or intended for cord and plug connections.

Some small ones do come with a cord....insta hots and such.

Cavie

Michael. I wasn't reading anything into it. I know melt down is not in the code. Just added that as I was refering to what I have seen in the field over the last 35 years. I have replaced many 3 prong plugs in my day as owner of an Electric company and manager of an A/C company. A/H were the worst.

Minuteman

Rule #1 The NEC is a permissive code. Without a direct code reference prohibiting a method, the method is allowed (My wording)

Having said that, At these apartments, flex "quick connect" water fittings are used as well. The maintenance superintendent is a plumber and could just consider himself an electrical Qualified Person.

Jim, is that an opinion or can you give a reference?

Cavie, I am quite sure that you are well qualified as an Unlimited Electrical owner and Heating/Air conditioning manager. However,
W/H and A/H to be hard wired
is not there.

I guess we are just a bunch of dumb Okie hacks out here in Sooner land, 'cause ain't nothin' a sayin' we cain't do it, so we does!

Jim W in Tampa

Minuteman said:
Rule #1 The NEC is a permissive code. Without a direct code reference prohibiting a method, the method is allowed (My wording)

Having said that, At these apartments, flex "quick connect" water fittings are used as well. The maintenance superintendent is a plumber and could just consider himself an electrical Qualified Person.

Jim, is that an opinion or can you give a reference?

Cavie, I am quite sure that you are well qualified as an Unlimited Electrical owner and Heating/Air conditioning manager. However, is not there.

I guess we are just a bunch of dumb Okie hacks out here in Sooner land, 'cause ain't nothin' a sayin' we cain't do it, so we does!

Take a good look at how we use to hook up dryers and ranges with 3 prongs,it wasnt a ground it was a neutral and what we were doing is bonding the frame to nutral and not using a ground.Now if you install the receptacle for same 3 prong and hook it up as a ground then we have the danger of a dryer getting pluged into it.The cord was never intended for water heaters.I am guilty of doing this for many years.

Cavie

Minuteman, You ain't doin' it in Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Lee or Collier County in Florida. We have no Amendments. That is why I asked for a code #. It ain't done so I woant to know what # prevents it.

Status
Not open for further replies.