Single Conductors ONLY on CBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdds

I've looked *carefully* through my copy of the 2002 NEC (yeah, I know it's one issue out of date, but I'm *positive* this issue is LONG STANDING) and have not been able to discover where "the Code 'sayeth': THOU SHALT NOT *EVER* LAND MORE THAN ONE CONDUCTOR UNDER A CIRCUIT BREAKER TERMINAL SCREW. *NO* exceptions"
[Context: Residential circuit breaker panel, 20 amp CBs]

Please help.

Thanks!

M. D.

mdds said:
I've looked *carefully* through my copy of the 2002 NEC (yeah, I know it's one issue out of date, but I'm *positive* this issue is LONG STANDING) and have not been able to discover where "the Code 'sayeth': THOU SHALT NOT *EVER* LAND MORE THAN ONE CONDUCTOR UNDER A CIRCUIT BREAKER TERMINAL SCREW. *NO* exceptions"

Please help.

Thanks!

Thats because it doth sayeth no such thingeth:)

I heard tell on a mfg that has one that accepts two.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That is not what the code says. The article you need to apply is somewhere in the vicinity of 110.3 (I don?t have my book handy). We are required to install and use equipment in conformance with the instructions in the manufacturer?s listing and labeling (or words to that effect).

You can, in fact, put more than one wire under a screw, but only if the breaker?s manufacturer says that it is acceptable. In other words, if the manufacturer tested it that way, and published instructions saying it is OK, then it is OK.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Charlie was close, it is actually 110.14(A) the last sentence.

SQ D QO, SQ D Homeline, C-H, list their 10,15,20,25,and 30 amp breakers for use with multiple conductors #14 through #10.

Roger

M. D.

mdds said:
"the Code 'sayeth': THOU SHALT NOT *EVER* LAND MORE THAN ONE CONDUCTOR UNDER A CIRCUIT BREAKER TERMINAL SCREW. *NO* exceptions"

That ain't what my code book says in 110.14(A)

Last edited:

dab

single conductor on cb

single conductor on cb

i installed a max. of two on a cb on a school job in L.A., the cb had the spec's on it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
glennn1 said:
Trevor, you cannot use panels as juncion boxes!

This is a common misconception/urban legend. Take a look at 312.8. Splices are permitted in panelboards.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Cavie said:
Splices are allowed in panel boards and SD QO in the only breaker allowed two wires.

Cavie, Homeline and C-H 10 thru 30 amp breakers are also listed for two CU conductors 14 thru 10.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.