Track Lights suspended from drop in ceiling grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

I was in a store today, and noticed dozens of strips of track lights with HID par fixtures on them suspended 6 feet or so from the ceiling grid using erico clips and wire rope. The tracks are powered by SJO cable running from the track, zip tied to the supporting wire rope, and running through a drop in ceiling tile (so obviously there is flexible cord above the drop in ceiling). Even worse, there are some large decorative wood structures hung from the ceiling grid in the same fashion and they are causing noticible deflection in the grid. This is in a seismically active zone btw. What code sections are violated by hanging the lights in this manner, and running the portable cord through the ceiling tiles? I do own and NEC, but dont have it with me so I appreciate any help.

thanks

iwire

Staff member
wireguru said:
thanks!

is there any violation in hanging the lights from the ceiling grid as I described?

Hard to say without knowing what type of clip they use.

We use a Caddy IDS clip (Independent Support Clip) that wraps around the grid and provides a place to connect a support wire from the clip to the structure.

PH3529.jpg

wireguru

iwire said:
Hard to say without knowing what type of clip they use.

We use a Caddy IDS clip (Independent Support Clip) that wraps around the grid and provides a place to connect a support wire from the clip to the structure.

PH3529.jpg

ahh, havent seen those before. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.