Is under canopy a damp location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

I have seen CFL down lights recessed installed under canopy everywhere. They are obviously not listed for damp or wet location. I am wondering if the place under outdoor canopy is a damp location. What do you think?

stickboy1375

dahualin said:
I have seen CFL down lights recessed installed under canopy everywhere. They are obviously not listed for damp or wet location. I am wondering if the place under outdoor canopy is a damp location. What do you think?

Anything outdoor is a damp location. Anyhow, check out the definition of Location, Damp. it will answer your question.

Controls

Article 100 Definitions: Location, Damp section.If you read it, canopies mentioned as part of damp locations. Not sure if this helps you. I am thinking that fixtures have to be listed for the areas (damp, wet, dry) where they are installed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
What makes you think that CFL's are not okay for a damp location?
Especially reflector CFL's, which have a glass or plastic envelope around the actual lamp.

dahualin

I thought open CFL downlights are not listed for damp location. After checking some lighting catalogs, I found a lot of downlights are listed for damp/wet location. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.