Prevailing Wage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairbone

My question is if I should be paid prevailing wage?

This is the situation: My job title is project manager/estimator but it is just a title and I am an hourly employee. We have a public project underway and I have done all of the submittals, attended the project meetings on site, attend to questions, RFI & e-mails from the construction manager & other prime contractors. Being that we are an open shop company I even had to put together a 25 page safety plan just for this project. I don't know the law but i am "working" on a public project a good part of my time and wanted some feedback before I approach the boss with my concern. Thanks, HB

wirenut25

The work you've explained seems to be more administrative so I dont think you would qualify under prevailing wage laws but this is just my opinion.

celtic

I agree with wirenut25.

For more details see:
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/laws/comp-dbra.htm

The Davis Bacon and Related Acts (DBRA) requires all contractors and subcontractors performing work on federal or District of Columbia construction contracts or federally assisted contracts in excess of $2,000 to pay their laborers and mechanics not less than the prevailing wage rates and fringe benefits for corresponding classes of laborers and mechanics employed on similar projects in the area. The prevailing wage rates and fringe benefits are determined by the Secretary of Labor for inclusion in covered contracts.

IMHO, administrative positions are not covered under the Davis-Bacon Act.

If you google these terms:
Davis-Bacon
Davis-Bacon Wage Determinations
prevailing wage determination

You will gather plenty of information to make an educated plan.

R Bob

Hairbone said:
My question is if I should be paid prevailing wage?

This is the situation: My job title is project manager/estimator but it is just a title and I am an hourly employee. We have a public project underway and I have done all of the submittals, attended the project meetings on site, attend to questions, RFI & e-mails from the construction manager & other prime contractors. Being that we are an open shop company I even had to put together a 25 page safety plan just for this project. I don't know the law but i am "working" on a public project a good part of my time and wanted some feedback before I approach the boss with my concern. Thanks, HB

As others have said, you would probably be considered "management/administrative" as opposed to a "trades worker" for the purposes of the Davis-Bacon Act.

The fact that you are an hourly employee has nothing to do with the Davis-Bacon Act, but it does have something to do with the FLSA.

ITO

Sounds like you are getting a raw deal, maybe you should quit that troublesome office work and go back out to the field where you can be paid more.

Hairbone

Thanks for the input guys & yes it looks like I am getting the raw deal:mad:

I am really getting the raw deal because this one job bid by the other estimator is really bringing the profitable work I brought in down.

Plus all of the time I have into babysitting it has taken away from bidding new work,

growler

Hairbone said:

It's just one job and when it's over the guys will go back to their regular pay. They will still be out in the field and you will still be in the office.

There is no way to stay on top all the time. When I worked industrial maintenance there were weeks when I made more money than the plant manager. I worked lots of hours and never got to sit in an air conditioned office.

In the long run you are way ahead of the guys in the field.

brian john

growler said:
It's just one job and when it's over the guys will go back to their regular pay. They will still be out in the field and you will still be in the office.

There is no way to stay on top all the time. When I worked industrial maintenance there were weeks when I made more money than the plant manager. I worked lots of hours and never got to sit in an air conditioned office.

In the long run you are way ahead of the guys in the field.

BINGO, sometimes there are trade offs if you have a decent stable job most of the time with a possible future while learning skills that should help you in the future and you are employed, Hey suck it up. If not discuss your concerns with your boss, FROM A POSITIVE perspective, I am a good........(fill in the blank) maybe I should see some of this money.

tkb

Prevailing wage is only applicable to hours on site only.
Any work off site whether it is office or prefab work is exempt from the prevailing wages.
Sounds like you are management, so you would not be eligible for the prevailing wage.
You are just paid hourly and not salary.

jrannis

You are learning skills not offered to field guys. Enjoy the education and take what you agreed on for now. When its time to get a raise you will have something to bargin with

JohnE

Hairbone said:

How are you getting a raw deal when you are doing your job and getting paid what you signed up for? If you think it's a raw deal, look for another gig.

iwire

Staff member
j_erickson said:
How are you getting a raw deal when you are doing your job and getting paid what you signed up for? If you think it's a raw deal, look for another gig.

I agree.

I am working a job in Chelsea that is prevailing wage, but I also have spent a lot of office time doing planing and purchasing for it.

My time in the field is at rate and my office time is my normal pay.

jrannis

iwire said:
I agree.

I am working a job in Chelsea that is prevailing wage, but I also have spent a lot of office time doing planing and purchasing for it.

Im not sure I would agree to that. Sounds like someone is getting cheated out of a couple of bucks

iwire

Staff member
jrannis said:
Im not sure I would agree to that. Sounds like someone is getting cheated out of a couple of bucks

Yes, I let the man walk on me like a door mat. :grin:

The reality there is no reason they have to put me on the rate job at all.

You also have no clue at all what my normal wage and benefits are so I am not to sure how you could tell if anyone is getting screwed. :grin:

celtic

iwire said:
I agree.

That doesn't sound right to me.
IMHO, your pay rate should reflect your primary occupation classification...
- if you're a JW ~ 99% of the time is in the field, 1% day dreaming LOL
- if you're a foreman ~ 50% - 75% is in the field, the balance is a juggling act
- if you're a general foreman ~ 80% - 90% is at the "office"
HOWEVER....all these classifications fall under tradesman/mechanic language.

On the other side of the coin you have your PMs and PSs....99% of the time in the office.
That to me is strictly administration type work, inspite of the 1% field work verifying various details.

If you are wearing both hats, sounds like you are doing double duty and should expect/negotiate the higher paying one as "yours"....including OT.

JMHO.

iwire

Staff member
I find it hard to believe that any of the long time members would think for a minute I would let myself be taken advantage of.:roll:

I am not going to go into details of my arrangements with the company I work for. Trust me, they take good care of me and I try my best for them.

mkgrady

The prevailing wage laws require that you are paid your trade class only when on the work site. I think there are some exceptions for some types of truck driving that involve on and off site.

If you only push a pencil the PW laws do not even apply. If you look at the wage decision you will not find manager or administrator as a trade class.

If you push a pencil and work with the tools on site there is a percentage threshold. Once you reach that % you must be paid the PW for all hours on site. I can't remember what the % threshold is but 30% rings a bell.

Status
Not open for further replies.