Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Anti-virus On-line" Trojan virus

Angry "Anti-virus On-line" Trojan virus

I sure hope I'm wrong about this but I believe I somehow contracted a computer virus while using Photobucket. I'm posting this because many of us here in the forum use this service to post photos. It's also possible that I contracted this through an e-mail and it coincidentally appeared while on Photobucket. Anyway, while I was transferring photos and copying image locations, a window popped up indicating that I had a virus and the only way to remove this virus was to purchase this "Anti-virus On-Line" program. It completely took over my computer and I was not able to perform any functions. The only way out was to go into "Safe Mode" and change the registry date. If anyone needs instructions on how to do this send me a PM and I'll walk you through the process.

A quick google search says alot of people have gotten a virus from the photobucket site lately.

Well that sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    a window popped up indicating that I had a virus and the only way to remove this virus was to purchase this "Anti-virus On-Line" program.
    I haven't had any problems with photobucket.

When the window popped up, did you click on the link?

Typically the trjan will be the pop up, then when you click on it, the virus downloads.

You can get rid of the pop up by clicking Ctrl/Alt/Del to bring up Task Manager and then remove it from the applications and/or the Processes tab.

Also, make sure that the actual website address that you want is correct in the www bar above.

Oh, and stay away from Bit Torrents, if you're not very familiar with them. Major viruses there.
    -Todd-

-Delawhere?

Shock Me, Make Me Feel Better.

Quote Originally Posted by ty View Post
    When the window popped up, did you click on the link?
    When the window popped up it masked itself as something from Microsoft. It looked legit. My ESET Node anti-virus program didn't pick it up either.
    You can get rid of the pop up by clicking Ctrl/Alt/Del to bring up Task Manager and then remove it from the applications and/or the Processes tab.
    Wasn't able to do anything once the virus was on the computer. Each time I tried to do the Ctl-Alt-Del thing the more pop-ups appeared (almost like a key being stuck) and the task mgr would only appear for a split second. Safe Mode was the only way out.

What photos were you looking at?

Here's a write-up on the virus :

http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-8564en.html

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNING View Post
    What photos were you looking at?
    I was in my own account.

When the window popped up it masked itself as something from Microsoft. It looked legit. My ESET Node anti-virus program didn't pick it up either.
    Wasn't able to do anything once the virus was on the computer. Each time I tried to do the Ctl-Alt-Del thing the more pop-ups appeared (almost like a key being stuck) and the task mgr would only appear for a split second. Safe Mode was the only way out.
    I had the same thing pop up on my office computer yesterday. I never clicked on anything and I was finally able to get away from it.
    It really did look legit.
    We run Norton at work but at home we run AVG free version. I have never had a problem with AVG.

I was in my own account.
    It starts as an adware popup.

If anyone gets that popup, do not click anywhere on it, including what appears to be the "window" close button. Instead, press Alt+F4 (close active window) or close from the taskbar.