Current carrying conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yes, the inside of the outdoor conduit is considered a wet location and NM is not permitted in a wet location.

Welcome to the forum.

I second that.

Roger

wet location

wet location

The inside of a PVC pipe buried underground, yes, would be considered a wet location. Because the pipe is above ground and attached to the side of a building it is not a wet location. It is there to prevent physical damage. So how bout now? same question? would NM cable be permitted in PVC conduit on the side of a building?

jumper

Can you please quote the line of code that states the inside of an above ground conduit is a wet location?

300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Abovegrade. Where
raceways are installed in wet locations abovegrade, the interior
of these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location.
Insulated conductors and cables installed in raceways in wet
locations abovegrade shall comply with 310.10(C).

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
IMO not every location outside is wet location. If the conduit is installed in a wet location then the inside is considered wet. But If the conduit is installed outside under the eave the conduit is not in a wet location therefor the inside is not a wet location.

Then again it would be a AHJ decision.

jumper

IMO not every location outside is wet location. If the conduit is installed in a wet location then the inside is considered wet. But If the conduit is installed outside under the eave the conduit is not in a wet location therefor the inside is not a wet location.

Then again it would be a AHJ decision.

I believe at best you might call that a damp location, but NM is still not allowed to be installed in such.

Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and
not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but
subject to moderate degrees of moisture.

Informational Note: Examples of such locations include
partially protected locations under canopies, marquees,
roofed open porches, and like locations
, and interior locations
subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some
basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

334.10(A) Type NM. Type NM cable shall be permitted as follows:
(1) For both exposed and concealed work in normally dry
locations except as prohibited in 334.10(3)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NEC specifically tells us that the inside of the raceway is considered a wet location when the raceway is installed within a wet location. Does it make the same distinction for a damp location where is says specifically that the interior of the raceway is considered a damp location?

jumper

The NEC specifically tells us that the inside of the raceway is considered a wet location when the raceway is installed within a wet location. Does it make the same distinction for a damp location where is says specifically that the interior of the raceway is considered a damp location?

Not that I can find, but I can easily infer that moisture will/may accumulate there from this:

314.15 Damp or Wet Locations. In damp or wet locations,
boxes, conduit bodies, outlet box hoods, and fittings
shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture from
entering or accumulating within the box, conduit body, or
fitting.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Is the only difficulty the issue of wet location? Is this an acceptable install if the conductors or cables are rated for wet locations (eg. UF cable rather than NM cable)?

-Jon

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is the only difficulty the issue of wet location? Is this an acceptable install if the conductors or cables are rated for wet locations (eg. UF cable rather than NM cable)?

-Jon

Yes, UF would be fine but NM is the issue here in a wet or damp location.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, UF would be fine but NM is the issue here in a wet or damp location.

I agree and I would consider the inside of a raceway in a damp location to be a damp location as well but as Jumper stated it's not explicitly mentioned in the NEC.

Cletis

I think NM should be approved to be run in pvc in the aforementioned applications for damp locations. And here is why

Construction
Type NM-B cable is manufactured as 2- or 3- conductor (Type THHN/THWN-2) cable, with a ground wire. Copper conductors are soft-annealed. Stranded conductors are compressed stranded. Phase conductors are insulated with tough, heat- and moisture-resistant, lead-free Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) over which a nylon (polyamide) or UL-recognized equivalent jacket is applied. They are jacketed with moisture- and fungus-resistant lead-free PVC

NM-B cable may be run in air voids of masonry block or tile walls where such walls are not subject to excessive moisture or dampness.

Courtesy of United Copper Industries
http://www.unitedcopper.com/nm-b/product-information

jumper

I think NM should be approved to be run in pvc in the aforementioned applications for damp locations. And here is why

Construction
Type NM-B cable is manufactured as 2- or 3- conductor (Type THHN/THWN-2) cable, with a ground wire. Copper conductors are soft-annealed. Stranded conductors are compressed stranded. Phase conductors are insulated with tough, heat- and moisture-resistant, lead-free Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) over which a nylon (polyamide) or UL-recognized equivalent jacket is applied. They are jacketed with moisture- and fungus-resistant lead-free PVC

NM-B cable may be run in air voids of masonry block or tile walls where such walls are not subject to excessive moisture or dampness.

Courtesy of United Copper Industries
http://www.unitedcopper.com/nm-b/product-information

Write a proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.