Replacing Existing GEC's

Status
Not open for further replies.
While up grading a service we installed two ground rods and a cold water ground. There wad a #4 aluminum ground wire going to the main panel. The new GEC's went to the new meter main outside. Should the old (probable) cold water ground which was never found to be connected to a pipe be:
a) Left in the ground bar in the main panel inside :happysad:
b) Irreversibly spliced with a butt splice listed for the appropriate aluminum/copper wire combination and landed at the bond point in the meter/main :happyyes: or
c) be cut and pushed out of the main panel so no one will see or worry about it?:ashamed:
I wanted to do (b) but couldn't get he right butt splice and am worried that a loose grounding electrode conductor touching a box cause arcing during a ground fault. I don't think (a) would be good because everything is supposed to be bonded at the same point. Any definite answers?
Thanks

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses

Took a while for me to get back to this, I guess I need to turn on notifications somewhere to show me people have replied.
Re: rlundsrud
Where did you terminate your new water pipe ground?​
I terminated my new cold water (and hot water ground as required by the AHJ) on the pipe coming out of the wall to the hot water heater.

Re:petersonra
I would want to know for sure that the other end was not connected to something before I would just shove it out of the way.​
Yeah, me too, but the old al GEC coming into the original panel was never found at the other end - who knows where it goes or if it is even connected anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.