European outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Might be buying treadmill that was suppose to be shipped to Europe. Is this a European plug. Can this be used in the states?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 2

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Might be buying treadmill that was suppose to be shipped to Europe. Is this a European plug. Can this be used in the states?
Unless the photo is reversed, the plug is a US standard 120V-20A plug and needs a 20A receptacle with crossed slots. You just do not see them much on US products.
If the photo is reversed, it would be 240V-20A plug requiring a 20A receptacle with a single horizontal slot opposite the crossed slots.
Since the treadmill is variable speed, you should be OK with 60Hz.

iwire

Staff member
Unless the photo is reversed, the plug is a US standard 120V-20A plug and needs a 20A receptacle with crossed slots. Y

I agree.

It would be a NEMA 5-20

12-00227M.jpg

mstrlucky74

These are the electrical requirements. Looks like I need a dedicated circuit. Damn..lol
would this outlet be fine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0

SMHarman

The 50/60 Hz is not likely to bother the motor much just the speeed calibration. A 50Hz motor plugged into 60Hz will run 20% faster at a given setting.
As the motor is variable speed this is less relevant but 10 mph is now 12 mph.
It does look designed to connect to a US system but as it can take 220v could connection Europe also.

Besoeker

The 50/60 Hz is not likely to bother the motor much just the speeed calibration. A 50Hz motor plugged into 60Hz will run 20% faster at a given setting.
As the motor is variable speed this is less relevant but 10 mph is now 12 mph.
As Goldilocks pointed out a few posts back, if it has a variable speed drive, the supply frequency should be OK. If all else fails, read the instructions!

It does look designed to connect to a US system but as it can take 220v could connection Europe also.
The 220V wouldn't be an issue. But I don't know anywhere in Europe use that plug.
Here's a list:

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

SMHarman

As Goldilocks pointed out a few posts back, if it has a variable speed drive, the supply frequency should be OK. If all else fails, read the instructions!

The 220V wouldn't be an issue. But I don't know anywhere in Europe use that plug.
Here's a list:

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/
I was thinking of this more from the user interface. You set the machine to run 12 min miles like you do in the gym and wonder why it is such hard work. It is because you are actually running 10 min miles.

Though the spec sheet showing it takes 110-220 and has a US plug molded on makes me think this is not a problem either.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Most treadmills I have had experience with use a magnetic probe to actually count the revolutions, so the speed indicator shouldn't be affected by the line frequency.

mstrlucky74

Thanks everyone . I bought the treadmill ran the separate 20a circuit and its works fine. I must say that it's seems i can't get to my usual mph as its too hard. Usually I run at 6.7mph but it's seems like 6.1mph on this treadmill is the same effort.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thanks everyone . I bought the treadmill ran the separate 20a circuit and its works fine. I must say that it's seems i can't get to my usual mph as its too hard. Usually I run at 6.7mph but it's seems like 6.1mph on this treadmill is the same effort.
If the rpm/mph counter uses line frequency as its time source for counting pulses (not unlikely), then it will count for a 12% shorter time interval, so a reading of 6mph would really be 7.2mph.
This assumes, though, that the manufacturer forgot to program the correction.
You can use a measuring wheel of the type used for laying out or measuring long horizontal distances to check the calibration. Or you can measure the circumference of the belt and count belt passes per minute.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If the rpm/mph counter uses line frequency as its time source for counting pulses (not unlikely), then it will count for a 12% shorter time interval, so a reading of 6mph would really be 7.2mph.
This assumes, though, that the manufacturer forgot to program the correction.
You can use a measuring wheel of the type used for laying out or measuring long horizontal distances to check the calibration. Or you can measure the circumference of the belt and count belt passes per minute.

Or you could just put it on a speed that you can do and worry about something else...... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.