Direct burial

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

Does anyone know if this Thomas and betts buttsplice is direct burial rated? Can't seem to find it anywhere

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone know if this Thomas and betts buttsplice is direct burial rated? Can't seem to find it anywhere

I don't think any high press butt splice like that is rated for direct burial, at least not without a listed heat/cold shrink termination kit. Usually the kit has everything included for the in ground splice.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have buried hundreds. Crimp, tape it up, put a heat shrink or gel wrap around it, bury and go home. Most of those kits you see are POS. I've replaced to many of them.
:thumbsup: I just did last week on a house feed. In another month it is going to be time to start getting ready for irrigation start up. Patching up gopher damage is the second rite of spring; right after MLB spring training. Boss sprung for a battery powered crimper. Life's good.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't consider the connector to be "directly buried" when it is covered with an insulation method that is suitable for the location.
I think that the only connectors that you will find to be listed as suitable for direct bury are connectors listed for grounding and bonding as these are the only connectors that would be directly buried without insulation.

Note, there are splice kits that are listed for direct bury, but the kit includes the insulation and I doubt that the actual wire connector itself is listed for direct bury.

fireryan

Had them insulated with heat shrink with the sealant in it. I see lots of these that are listed for db but could not find anything for this crimp

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I've also done a lot of splices underground with these. Use the adhesive lined heatshrink over it and you're good to go.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This is what I use. They are rated to be submersed. Never had a problem even with Al conductors.

They are called Polaris Blues.

images

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Do those ends heat shrink down?

No, you have to buy the size kit that fits the wire size. The kit will say if it's a single size such as 4/0 or some have a range such as 2AWG-4AWG. The rubber boots have a sealant (silicone I think) in them that seals out the water. That is it correctly seals if you use the correct size kit to match the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.