Help me how to connect Relay SEL-311L with a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huydo7new

I need connect Relay SEL-311L with a computer by Port 1 on relay.
Port 1 (on relay) --> RS485 to RS232 converter --> Computer.
Use DNP3 protocol to communication.
On my computer, I use KEPware soft (this is OPC Server soft) to receive data. But not connected. "The connect is not responding" fault.
I think that I set up incorrectly on relay or soft.
rs232 to 485.jpg port1.jpg

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
On my computer, I use KEPware soft (this is OPC Server soft) to receive data. But not connected. "The connect is not responding" fault.
View attachment 12109 View attachment 12110

I would recommend you contact SEL directly, or their local application engineer. They should be more than capable of helping you.

Bugman1400

View attachment 12109 View attachment 12110

First of all, is the Port configured to even talk DNP (PROTO setting)? Check the settings and check to make sure you have the correct baud, parity, data bits, etc. You then have to be sure you have the correct DNP address (DNPADR). If your converter has TX and RX lights, use those to see if your master is polling and then see if the relay is responding.

huydo7new

First of all, is the Port configured to even talk DNP (PROTO setting)? Check the settings and check to make sure you have the correct baud, parity, data bits, etc. You then have to be sure you have the correct DNP address (DNPADR). If your converter has TX and RX lights, use those to see if your master is polling and then see if the relay is responding.

On relay, I have configured DNP protocol for Port 1 and set up DNP address, baud. In addition, the other parameters are default. On software, I have aslo configured so. I don't know if I have to set up a few the other parameters. In DNP3 protocol, there are data Mapping parameters, we configured it? Bugman1400, do you know about DNP protocol and you used to connect SEL-311L with a computer?

Bugman1400

On relay, I have configured DNP protocol for Port 1 and set up DNP address, baud. In addition, the other parameters are default. On software, I have aslo configured so. I don't know if I have to set up a few the other parameters. In DNP3 protocol, there are data Mapping parameters, we configured it? Bugman1400, do you know about DNP protocol and you used to connect SEL-311L with a computer?

Yes, I've connected to several hundred 311 relays before (311Ls, 311Cs, 311Bs, etc.). I'm not sure if you are trying to get engineering access through Port 1 with DNP. I guess you know that won't work. If you are trying to set up a simple master/slave to poll the 311L for SCADA data then, yes you need to either set up a custom DNP map or you can use the reference map. For the custom map you would poll DNP AI points 0,1,2 for example after you set them up. For the reference map, you might poll DNP AI points 5, 232, 1045 for example for the static addresses of whatever analogs you want. Also with DNP protocol, you may have to adjust your delays (PREDLY & MAXDLY) but, that is typically done after you have established a successful poll and reply.

If you are trying to connect to a laptop, you'll need to have some software that can talk DNP master. This would either be a comm testing software like ASE2000 or perhaps you are using your KEPware software.

Does your 485 to 232 converter have TX and RX lights on them? If so, you can see if the laptop is sending a poll by checking if the TX flashes during the poll. If you don't have any indication lights then you are really shooting in the dark. The converter you show a picture of seems to have the indication lights. Are you getting a TX flash every few seconds or not?

huydo7new

Yes, I've connected to several hundred 311 relays before (311Ls, 311Cs, 311Bs, etc.). I'm not sure if you are trying to get engineering access through Port 1 with DNP. I guess you know that won't work. If you are trying to set up a simple master/slave to poll the 311L for SCADA data then, yes you need to either set up a custom DNP map or you can use the reference map. For the custom map you would poll DNP AI points 0,1,2 for example after you set them up. For the reference map, you might poll DNP AI points 5, 232, 145 for example for the static addresses of whatever analogs you want. Also with DNP protocol, you may have to adjust your delays (PREDLY & MAXDLY) but, that is typically done after you have established a successful poll and reply.

If you are trying to connect to a laptop, you'll need to have some software that can talk DNP master. This would either be a comm testing software like ASE2000 or perhaps you are using your KEPware software.

Does your 485 to 232 converter have TX and RX lights on them? If so, you can see if the laptop is sending a poll by checking if the TX flashes during the poll. If you don't have any indication lights then you are really shooting in the dark. The converter you show a picture of seems to have the indication lights. Are you getting a TX flash every few seconds or not?

First for all, I'm trying to connect to a laptop by a OPC server software (KEPware). On the converter, I have seen the TX and RX signal flash like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qu8GoJA4tU

I think that there was the signal transmission and reception.
To connect between relay and converter, I have connected like this:
+ Connect T+ and R+ on relay then connect to A pin on converter.
+ Connect T- and R- on relay then connect to B pin on converter.
IMG_20150310_161310.jpg IMG_20150310_161329.jpg

Have you connected so?

And this is the setting file on relay which I have configured for DNP protocol. You can open it by AcSELerator QuickSet software.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/as8mwa4orreje6f/Relay+SEL-311L+Configuration.rar
1.jpg 2.jpg

On software, I setting like below picture.
2.jpg

If you use KEPware, you can see this file.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d5p77m02d9r8xa5/SEL311L.opf

These are the steps that I did. On software still report "The device not respoding".
If you know, help me please.

Bugman1400

I have several suggestions:

1.) Drop your integrity poll to 30-45 seconds.
2.) remove the converter and plug your rs232 cable from your laptop into Port 2 and set up Port 2 just like Port 1. This eliminates the hassle of the RS422 vs RS485 connection issues like I've seen before. Make sure your RS232 cable is the correct kind. Once you get the proper polling and reply from the 311L then, you can switch back to Port 1 and the RS422.
3.) Turn off the RTS flow control in KEPware.
4.) Make sure your Kepware software has an address of 88.

huydo7new

2.) remove the converter and plug your rs232 cable from your laptop into Port 2 and set up Port 2 just like Port 1. This eliminates the hassle of the RS422 vs RS485 connection issues like I've seen before. Make sure your RS232 cable is the correct kind. Once you get the proper polling and reply from the 311L then, you can switch back to Port 1 and the RS422.

Thank you so much. I will try.

huydo7new

Bugman1400, I did like you told me. But not success.
I'm sure true connect converter, because on the laptop I connected successful relay with AcSELerator QuickSet software like below picture.
2.jpg

But I can't connect with Kepserver as well as ASE2000 to receive data.
Maybe I configured false on relay and software.

On ASE2000, I configrued like the below picture.
1.jpg

Do you know I configured false....where?
And have you ever worked for "DNP protocol" project?

Bugman1400

Bugman1400, I did like you told me. But not success.
I'm sure true connect converter, because on the laptop I connected successful relay with AcSELerator QuickSet software like below picture.
View attachment 12130

But I can't connect with Kepserver as well as ASE2000 to receive data.
Maybe I configured false on relay and software.

On ASE2000, I configrued like the below picture.
View attachment 12131

Do you know I configured false....where?
And have you ever worked for "DNP protocol" project?

If your using the ASE2000 to act as the master then you need to make sure it has an address of 88. I think I saw in your settings that the 311L is expecting the master to be 88. Also, your ASE2000 screen shows a baud rate of 9600 when your 311L is set at 2400. Again, keep trying with the RS232 cable until you get the results you want. Also, for the ASE2000, are you using the black box or your laptop serial port. If you have the black box then, use it and then select the checkbox "Show ASE Ports only". The box has the TX and RX lights on it to tell you what is going on with the comm.

huydo7new

If your using the ASE2000 to act as the master then you need to make sure it has an address of 88. I think I saw in your settings that the 311L is expecting the master to be 88. Also, your ASE2000 screen shows a baud rate of 9600 when your 311L is set at 2400. Again, keep trying with the RS232 cable until you get the results you want. Also, for the ASE2000, are you using the black box or your laptop serial port. If you have the black box then, use it and then select the checkbox "Show ASE Ports only". The box has the TX and RX lights on it to tell you what is going on with the comm.

I connected SEL-311L with computer. Now, I want to connect it to controller, then show on SCADA interface.
Controller is AK1703 ACP of siemens. In our AK1703 controller, there is a card which support DNP3 protocol.
Toolbox II is software that I use to access to AK1703 controller.
I 've tried it, but not success.
Have you ever been connect SEL-311L to this controller, Bugman1400?

Bugman1400

What is the style# of the 311L? I have connected many SEL relays to DNP. For the newer SEL 311 relays, you'll either need to create a custom DNP map or have your polling master poll the 311 for the points that are listed in the reference map table in the 311 instruction manual.

So, in a newer 311, you can create DNP Custom Map 1 with the following points:

DNP Point# Description
0 WATTS
1 VARS
2 KV
3 AMPS

You will also need the addresses of the master (sometimes called the server) and the slave (sometimes called the client).

Status
Not open for further replies.