Factory Motor wiring connection wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEC

Baldor motor wired the internal wiring to the wrong combination between the six and nine, they had it flip flopped. Needless to say the motor wouldn't work wiring it according to diagram. So had to remove motor from equipment and take to motor shop to diagnose that problem. Now need to reinstall motor. Owner does seem to want to pay for the extra time put out to accomplish these tasks.

EEC

Customer supplied equipment with motor

Customer supplied equipment with motor

Customer brought the equipment, we just wired, dismounted and transported motor to motor shop for warranty work.

EEC

Correction to post

Correction to post

Baldor motor wired the internal wiring to the wrong combination between the six and nine, they had it flip flopped. Needless to say the motor wouldn't work wiring it according to diagram. So had to remove motor from equipment and take to motor shop to diagnose that problem. Now need to reinstall motor. Owner does not seem to want to pay for the extra time put out to accomplish these tasks.
Correction to post owner does not want to pay

EEC

Extra Labor involved

Extra Labor involved

For six hours of extra labor to dismount, transport and reinstall motor, how much would you charge?

GerryB

For six hours of extra labor to dismount, transport and reinstall motor, how much would you charge?
I don't do a lot of work like this and I don't know how big the motor was but if it was brand new I don't know if I would take it to a repair shop. As far as charging when I have a similar situation If I think it took longer then it should have I try to give them a break, maybe say "look it took six hours to get this figured out but I'm only going to charge you 4. Good luck.

EEC

What would you have done to determine the internal problem with motor

What would you have done to determine the internal problem with motor

I don't do a lot of work like this and I don't know how big the motor was but if it was brand new I don't know if I would take it to a repair shop. As far as charging when I have a similar situation If I think it took longer then it should have I try to give them a break, maybe say "look it took six hours to get this figured out but I'm only going to charge you 4. Good luck.

How would you have determined what the problem was without taking it to motor shop, it was brand new?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If you don't have a lot of time with motors there is no intuitive way to troubleshoot them. Baldor is a name brand motor and there is no reason to suspect a factory defect. You did right by having it checked out at a motor shop.

We sell motors and warrantee them. We do not warrantee installs that are done by others. We do not warrantee motors that we don't get a mark up on any more than we would eat the cost for any other customer provided materials.

It's his baby. Charge what you think is right.

EEC

What I think should happen

What I think should happen

If you don't have a lot of time with motors there is no intuitive way to troubleshoot them. Baldor is a name brand motor and there is no reason to suspect a factory defect. You did right by having it checked out at a motor shop.

We sell motors and warrantee them. We do not warrantee installs that are done by others. We do not warrantee motors that we don't get a mark up on any more than we would eat the cost for any other customer provided materials.

It's his baby. Charge what you think is right.

I think the equipment manufacturer (Kason) told their customer to remove motor and take it to a certain motor shop, making the equipment manufacturer (Kason) responsible to pay the customer for the extra work involved, since it wasn't anything the customer did wrong. Equipment manufacturer (Kason) should back charge Baldor Motors for the cost of the electrical contractor doing the extra work. Kason buys a lot of motors from Baldor, so it has the leverage.

GerryB

How would you have determined what the problem was without taking it to motor shop, it was brand new?
On brand new things I start with tech support. I had a "fan in the can" that was bad out of the box and it took a couple of calls to tech support for them to say go get another one. Like I said I don't do a lot of motor work but your end is pretty straight forward, if it didn't work and you were certain of your end them obviously there is something wrong with the motor. Did it have to be up and running that day or did it take a week to get it back from the shop? Or someone posted they told you to bring it to the motor shop, so they should cover it. Again I don't know your situation but if there was going to be that much time and money involved I would get it authorized before doing anything. Of course,the fan I mentioned cost me about an extra 4 hours I never got paid for:)

Last edited:

Nom Deplume

I had the exact same problem with a 50hp Baldor motor motor..
we had to install on a roof with a crane. The old motor was removed and the crane was gone before we found out we had a problem..
wires 6 and 9 were mismarked. We figured it out by metering out each winding..

It seems that Baldor only tests the motors connected at the high voltage connection.
We connected the motor at the low voltage connection and had the problem.
Baldor wouldn't do anything for us.

EEC

That makes perfect sense

That makes perfect sense

we had to install on a roof with a crane. The old motor was removed and the crane was gone before we found out we had a problem..

It seems that Baldor only tests the motors connected at the high voltage connection.

That Baldor don't test at the low voltage. Also the equipment manufacturer (Kason) should have tested the equipment too. So it slipped down to the end user, that's poor quality control.

EEC

What were the reading used to determine the 6 and 9 flip flop miswire?

What were the reading used to determine the 6 and 9 flip flop miswire?

What test and how was it performed to reach a conclusion that factory miswired motor?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What test and how was it performed to reach a conclusion that factory miswired motor?
On a 9 lead motor wire #6 will only have continuity with one other wire...wire #3. Wire 9 will have continuity with two other wires ...7 & 8.

Nom Deplume

We used an ohmmeter to ring out the windings as per the Baldor schematic for that specific motor. It became obvious during this that the leads were mismarked.
I was at the office telling the guys how to test and they were giving me their readings.

John120/240

Customer brought the equipment, we just wired, dismounted and transported motor to motor shop for warranty work.

Correction to post owner does not want to pay

If there was going to be a dispute about compensation for your time at the motor shop, Just disconnect motor & let your customer haul it to the motor shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.