Transition from Direct Buried Cable to Conduit to Direct Buried Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything in the NEC prevents me from transitioning a direct buried cable through a conduit that goes underneath a gravel road and have that cable transition back to a direct burial?

Is it better to avoid the conduit all together and just keep the cable a direct burial? (In terms of physical loading on the conduit versus physical loading on the cable when a vehicle drives over that portion of the road)

I also did not know if the cable will be stretched at the entrance and exit of the conduit when something drives over the conduit.

Any thoughts on this topic is appreciated!

kwired

Electron manager
IMO this conduit doesn't even need to be listed raceway - it is nothing more then a sleeve though it doesn't necessarily give us much as far as needed physical protection I still see nothing to prohibit it's use, it could just be for convenience of crossing the road without the need to excavate the road.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO this conduit doesn't even need to be listed raceway - it is nothing more then a sleeve though it doesn't necessarily give us much as far as needed physical protection I still see nothing to prohibit it's use, it could just be for convenience of crossing the road without the need to excavate the road.

I would be inclined to call it a sleeve as well. A metal conduit would need an EGC attached to it. A sleeve does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.