2009 130.3 Arc Flash Hazard Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn L

2009 NFPA 70E standard section 130.3, exception no. 1 thereare three exceptions that do not require an arc flash hazard analysis (now knownas an arc flash risk assessment). Theexceptions include;
1. The circuit is rated 240 volts or less
2. The circuit is supplied by one transformer
3. The transformer supplying the circuit is ratedless than 125 kVA.
We conduct an arc flash risk assessments for 208 v ormore. The question is does anybody dothem for less than 208 v i.e 120 v?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
2009 NFPA 70E standard section 130.3, exception no. 1 thereare three exceptions that do not require an arc flash hazard analysis (now knownas an arc flash risk assessment). Theexceptions include;
1. The circuit is rated 240 volts or less
2. The circuit is supplied by one transformer
3. The transformer supplying the circuit is ratedless than 125 kVA.
We conduct an arc flash risk assessments for 208 v ormore. The question is does anybody dothem for less than 208 v i.e 120 v?

A risk assessment has always been required, it was the calculations that were optional.
These exceptions are no longer part of NFPA70E. They came from and are still part of IEEE1584.

To my knowledge there is no industry standard methodology for calculating incident energy at 120V.

Can I ask why you are mentioning the 2009 edition of NFPA70E? I have been told, in OSHA's view point the industry consensus standard is always the current edition.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
The latest version of NFPA 70E is the 2015 edition. I am traveling so don't have it with me but I think the exemption is now stated as refer to IEEE 1584 for exemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.