Status
Not open for further replies.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Stranded Wire

Stranded Wire

I have worked more in the indistrial side of things since 99 and have seen a lot of things wired less than perfect that failed due to improper wiring methods with solid core wire.
99% of the time stranded is a better choice for industrial gear, especially from the disconnect to things like motor loads.
When an electrician tells me that sold is easier to terminate its just an indication of the kind of wiring he does day in and day out. I find it easier to land only in certain limited scenarios. The versitility seems to speak for itself.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If all you do is wire cheap toggles and receptacles, then yes, solid is good. If you're running mostly NM and not pulling through conduit, then it doesn't matter. By and large I don't think that's true of most other types of work. Most of my work involves EMT and discos and equipment with lugs. Can't imagine pulling solid through all that conduit we run. For the terminations it just doesn't really matter.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Most of my work involves EMT and discos and equipment with lugs. Can't imagine pulling solid through all that conduit we run.
Why? A good number of my jobs are in multiple 7 figures, most are solid conductors #10 and smaller and as stated before, it's not a problem and our employees don't all look like Arnold.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We always used solid for our commercial jobs, and normally stranded for the industrial work, but when I started we were pulling #14 THW for industrial control stations....often out of 500' boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.