SEU cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a home yesterday where a home inspector listed to "install ground electrode from main breaker box to ground".
The service is a standard meter with a SEU cable from meter to 200 amp breaker panel. I don't see where this is required and is the first time I've had a home inspector ask for this. Will someone help me with some code references why it is or isn't required. Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What don't you understand? A service needs to be connected to an electrode. You can drive 2 rods and that will do it. I don't see that this should be something that is needed if the house is older than the rule.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is there presently a grounding electrode connected to the premises wiring anywhere ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I went to a home yesterday where a home inspectorlisted to "install ground electrode from main breaker box to ground".
The service is a standard meter with a SEU cable from meter to 200 amp breaker panel. I don't see where this is required and is the first time I've had a home inspector ask for this. Will someone help me with some code references why it is or isn't required. Thanks

The bold part is so poorly written that it's anyone's guess what the HI was looking for. I would ask for a better explanation before doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.