Mobile Home Condenser Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Long before I began inspecting in this area and throughout my term, it has been the practice on Mobile Homes for HVAC installers to supply the circuit to the condenser unit from the interior panel of the mobile home using a conduit stubbed from the panel by the manufacturer. The installers have been using UF to the exterior disconnect with the wire fished above the vapor barrier under the frame. This appears to be a violation of 550.15(H). What is the practice in your area ?

iwire

Staff member
The installers have been using UF to the exterior disconnect with the wire fished above the vapor barrier under the frame. This appears to be a violation of 550.15(H).

If the UF is above the vapor barrier I would not consider it expossed to the weather.

(H) Under-Chassis Wiring (Exposed to Weather). Where
outdoor or under-chassis line-voltage (120 volts, nominal,
or higher) wiring is exposed to moisture or physical damage,
it shall be protected by rigid metal conduit or intermediate
metal conduit, except as provided in (1) or (2). The
conductors shall be suitable for wet locations.

(1) Where closely routed against frames and equipment
enclosures, reinforced thermosetting resin conduit
(RTRC) listed for aboveground use, Type MI cable,
electrical metallic tubing, or rigid polyvinyl chloride
conduit (PVC) shall be permitted.

(2) Where extending vertically from a direct-burial depth
of at least 457 mm (18 in.) below grade and terminated
to a factory-installed conduit or enclosure, Schedule 80
PVC or RTRC listed for exposure to physical damage.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
i would imagine most all of us doing the install described in this thread would be in violation of 550.20(B)
In these situations, the mobile home is not "provided with the circuit" rather the circuit is added..... (devils advocate)

david

Long before I began inspecting in this area and throughout my term, it has been the practice on Mobile Homes for HVAC installers to supply the circuit to the condenser unit from the interior panel of the mobile home using a conduit stubbed from the panel by the manufacturer. The installers have been using UF to the exterior disconnect with the wire fished above the vapor barrier under the frame. This appears to be a violation of 550.15(H). What is the practice in your area ?

550.32 Service Equipment. Means for connecting a mobile home accessory building or structure or additional electrical equipment located outside a mobile home by a fixed wiring method

To answer your question most in this area these days supply the equipment from the outside.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
550.32 Service Equipment. Means for connecting a mobile home accessory building or structure or additional electrical equipment located outside a mobile home by a fixed wiring method

To answer your question most in this area these days supply the equipment from the outside.

Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.