UL 50 vs UL 508 enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

xguard

I've seen some electrical enclosures (pull boxes, junction boxes) that have only a UL 508 rating. Does this rating also cover the requirements of UL 50?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The UL Guide Information for "Boxes, Junction and Pull" (BGUZ) says:
he basic standards used to investigate products in this category are ANSI/UL 50, "Enclosures for Electrical Equipment, Non-Environmental Considerations," and ANSI/UL 50E, "Enclosures for Electrical Equipment, Environmental Considerations."

Where are you seeing 508?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
the former "NEMA" type boxes are now covered under UL508. NEMA type 1 is now UL type 1, etc. They are nearly the same with only some very minor changes.
The UL online "product spec" system does not reflect that so it must be out of date.

xguard

I would assume I could use this box as a pull box or splice box but I would prefer to see something definitive for now and for future reference.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The UL online "product spec" system does not reflect that so it must be out of date.

At one time, there was no requirement that enclosures be listed at all. NEMA standards were not designed around any kind of listing. They were just standards NEMA created and manufacturers used and claimed they met the requirements.

When the code started to require that at least some kinds of enclosures be listed, a standard that could be tested to had to be created by UL so they could list them.

UL used the same nomenclature, and essentially the same requirements as NEMA did, effectively replacing them.

As far as I know, a UL type enclosure meets all the NEMA requirements for the same type of enclosure, but is also listed, where as a NEMA type enclosure is not necessarily listed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would assume I could use this box as a pull box or splice box but I would prefer to see something definitive for now and for future reference.

You can use an enclosure for anything it is suitable for.

Pull boxes are required to be of a certain size to allow for conductor bending (among other things).

I don't think there are any special size requirements for boxes used solely for splicing, other than fill percentages.

Status
Not open for further replies.