Walk-in freezers

Status
Not open for further replies.

insparks

I have two portable refrigerated units for a local fast food restaurant and they need disconnects and I?m not sure about them being ?readily accessible? or ?accessible?. I say they are ?readily accessible? and they can not be installing these on the roof of these units or does 440.14 apply.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It seems to me that they need only be accessible, not readily accessible. That means they can be on the roof of the unit.

kwired

Electron manager
It seems to me that they need only be accessible, not readily accessible. That means they can be on the roof of the unit.

440.14 Location.
Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.
The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment or to obscure the equipment nameplate(s).

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
440.14 Location.
Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment or to obscure the equipment nameplate(s).

I would put the disconnect wherever the equipment is.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
440.14 Location.
Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment or to obscure the equipment nameplate(s).

I would put the disconnect wherever the equipment is.

It seems to me that they should be on the roof, with the equipment they disconnect.

I agree with Mgraw and Larry

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Next time I will just say it had nothing to do with Larry.
Awww!
icon9.gif

insparks

more information

more information

These portable walk-in freezers are on trailers temporary but they will be install on concrete pads and attached to the building with access through the building and they stand about seven feet tall with a slope on top about 10 degrees.

kwired

Electron manager
These portable walk-in freezers are on trailers temporary but they will be install on concrete pads and attached to the building with access through the building and they stand about seven feet tall with a slope on top about 10 degrees.

Does that mean they will become permanent or are they there for a temporary purpose? On concrete pads and attached to building sounds like a perrmanent installation.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Wouldn't that depend on whether or not they remain on trailer, and if trailer is actually part of the unit. If it is designed to be moved it is portable.

550.2 and 551.2, which is where Portable Appliances sends you, says; An appliance that is actually moved or can easily be moved from one place to another in normal use. It then gives you a list of appliances that are considered portable.

I don't believe that a walk in freezer is portable, even if it's on a trailer. I've moved houses on a trailer, but that doesn't make them portable.:)

kwired

Electron manager
550.2 and 551.2, which is where Portable Appliances sends you, says; An appliance that is actually moved or can easily be moved from one place to another in normal use. It then gives you a list of appliances that are considered portable.

I don't believe that a walk in freezer is portable, even if it's on a trailer. I've moved houses on a trailer, but that doesn't make them portable.:)

Those sections only apply to mobile homes, manufactured homes and RV's.

What is sending you there?

400.7(A)(3) would allow the use of flexible cord. The next step is to determine if indeed it is portable. If it still has wheels under it or at least a place to easily attach wheels, after installed it is a little hard to say it is not portable.

As far as moving a house on a trailer, if you for some reason wanted to supply power while still on the trailer it is at that time portable and why couldn't you use a flexible cord?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Those sections only apply to mobile homes, manufactured homes and RV's.

What is sending you there?

400.7(A)(3) would allow the use of flexible cord. The next step is to determine if indeed it is portable. If it still has wheels under it or at least a place to easily attach wheels, after installed it is a little hard to say it is not portable.

As far as moving a house on a trailer, if you for some reason wanted to supply power while still on the trailer it is at that time portable and why couldn't you use a flexible cord?

I thought so too, but go to the index and look up Portable Appliances and it says see Appliances. Go to Appliances and it says Portable definition 550.2, 551.2. It also lists Stationary as 550.2, 551.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.