Residential Panel outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

wouldn't that be a violation also, they are only suppossed to enter through the top

(C) Cables. Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure.
Exception: Cables with entirely nonmetallic sheaths shall be permitted to enter the top of a surface-mounted enclosure through one or more nonflexible raceways not less than 450 mm (18 in.) and not more than 3.0 m (10 ft) in length, provided all of the following conditions are met:

One of the exceptions allows it.

The back of the panel is sealed. With caulking around the edges.

Last edited:

480sparky

Strip the wires? so you are saying that the nm cannot be in a conduit outside because is a wet location but if you take out the plastic covering then is ok for wet location, am I understanding you correctly?

He stated there is nowhere in the code that allows it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
wouldn't that be a violation also, they are only suppossed to enter through the top

(C) Cables. Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure.
Exception: Cables with entirely nonmetallic sheaths shall be permitted to enter the top of a surface-mounted enclosure through one or more nonflexible raceways not less than 450 mm (18 in.) and not more than 3.0 m (10 ft) in length, provided all of the following conditions are met:

That is my point. You cannot have nm come into the back of an outdoor panel using a short nipple. It is done that way around here because it was determined, by the powers to be, because outdoor panel could be next to impossible to do and be code compliant. A house on a slab etc would make this install difficult to be code compliant. I know that Ariz also allows this type of install-- I believe we have a member here that does it all the time.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
One of the exceptions allows it.

The back of the panel is sealed. With caulking around the edges.

What exception allows it Buck?

Originally Posted by dmanda24
Strip the wires? so you are saying that the nm cannot be in a conduit outside because is a wet location but if you take out the plastic covering then is ok for wet location, am I understanding you correctly?

No you cannot strip the jacket off since the wire inside NM cable is not marked. You would have no way of knowing if it is suitable for wet location.

Buck Parrish

I guess you got me on that one. But like you say it is sure done a lot. Some times with out conduit. Just a chase nipple or a two in. romex connector on the back of the panel. Then straight in to the house.

But as I'm thinking about it, then again.
Technically it could be considered not out side. Because the panel's back is against the building. 100% silicone caulking is used on top and sides.

It wouldn't be much different then having nm ran to a flood light in a soffit with a vent strip cut all the way down the soffit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NM cable requires a connector when entering the panel. 312.5 is not applicable for this type of installation and provides no relief for using a short section of raceway, chase nipple or other means.

Buck Parrish

The NM cable requires a connector when entering the panel. 312.5 is not applicable for this type of installation and provides no relief for using a short section of raceway, chase nipple or other means.

Does your jurisdiction allow it any way. Ours does, thank fully.:smile:

Buck Parrish

I think it a South/Southwest thing.:cool:

Well it sure makes some installs easy.
Carolina does have some nice weather. 70 today.

Although I will admit the panel will not last as long out side. But the ones I have seen with the nm. It still looks fine after being in the outside panel for many years.

wbalsam1

If NM in a conduit outside is considered in a wet location why would one think that NM in a panel outside would be in a dry location? Installing stripped NM in a conduit is not permitted. Installing stripped NM in a conduit that enters a panel located in a wet location is also prohibited.:smile:

480sparky

Well it sure makes some installs easy.
Carolina does have some nice weather. 70 today......

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I fire up my genny tonight......:smile:

storm.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't think that I've ever seen a panel on the outside of the house around here. There almost always in the basement or the garage.

It use to be pretty uncommon to see house with basements around here. As more and more northerners move here we are seeing more basements, at least in the higher end homes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If NM in a conduit outside is considered in a wet location why would one think that NM in a panel outside would be in a dry location? Installing stripped NM in a conduit is not permitted. Installing stripped NM in a conduit that enters a panel located in a wet location is also prohibited.:smile:

I believe given the confinements of outdoor panels many areas realize that it is not possible to enter the panel with individual connectors, etc. Also when I install a jb in a crawl and wire to an outdoor panel I will strip the nm so as to not have an extra joint.

The wire in nm is allowed in a wp enclosure, IMO. If it weren't then they should not be making these panels. The breakers are in an exterior panel. I am sure they are not wet location rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.