GYM Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

I have been asked to bid a job on a GYM replacing 16-400W MH High bay fixtures with 16- 6L T8 high bay fixtures The gym is not in a school but in non profit after hours place for kids to play. the Gym is used maybe about 10 hours per week.

My Question is on the T8 fixtures. I am concerned about the fact that Even with a wire guard and the fixtures pendent mounted, the fixtures are more vulnerable to damage then the 400W MH Fixtures?

I am wondering what others have done in GYM lighting projects?
Thanks

ceb58

I have been asked to bid a job on a GYM replacing 16-400W MH High bay fixtures with 16- 6L T8 high bay fixtures The gym is not in a school but in non profit after hours place for kids to play. the Gym is used maybe about 10 hours per week.

My Question is on the T8 fixtures. I am concerned about the fact that Even with a wire guard and the fixtures pendent mounted, the fixtures are more vulnerable to damage then the 400W MH Fixtures?

Thanks

How high are the fixtures mounted? If the MH have taken numerous hits from balls then they may want to rethink the T8s. Wish you weren't so far away we could work out a deal on the MH if you do replace them. Going to be doing a job at a fire dept. for new bays for the trucks.

Riograndeelectric

How high are the fixtures mounted? If the MH have taken numerous hits from balls then they may want to rethink the T8s. Wish you weren't so far away we could work out a deal on the MH if you do replace them. Going to be doing a job at a fire dept. for new bays for the trucks.

I seem to recall that the fixtures looked in very good shape.
My concern is T8 being hit by balls.

cadpoint

A local box store refitted their lights as per your description, they took the lights to the deck.
It had standard 6 - 7 ft. truss framing - 2ft. deep.

Looked good and I had to study it because there's some many lamps...

I don't know of any protection for the lamps...

kwired

Electron manager

Thanks

If the 400 MH are being replaced for the energy efficiency of the T8 I question how long the payback period will be if only used 10 hours per week?

Not all "green projects" are worth the initial investment IMO.

But that is not what your question is about, as far as your concern over possible lamp breakage you could use shatter resistant lamps that are teflon coated. They will not stop the lamp from being damaged if a hard enough hit is taken but will likely contain the lamp within the coating. I use these all the time in a food products plant, USDA, FDA, and other agencies approve them in product handling areas in case of lamp breakage and they are better than tube guards. They will add a considerable amount of expense as compared to standard lamps however. You will go from maybe $2.00 per lamp to $8.00 per lamp. This would make the payback period mentioned above even longer.

guitarchris

Just did a gym. Went from 24 500W incandescent lights to 12 6 lamp t-5 high bays w/ wire guards. Finished up the job a couple of weeks ago so time will tell about durability. You may be able to reduce the number of fixtures you use too. I suggest getting with a lighting rep and see what you need to put in.

Riograndeelectric

If the 400 MH are being replaced for the energy efficiency of the T8 I question how long the payback period will be if only used 10 hours per week?

Not all "green projects" are worth the initial investment IMO.

But that is not what your question is about, as far as your concern over possible lamp breakage you could use shatter resistant lamps that are teflon coated. They will not stop the lamp from being damaged if a hard enough hit is taken but will likely contain the lamp within the coating. I use these all the time in a food products plant, USDA, FDA, and other agencies approve them in product handling areas in case of lamp breakage and they are better than tube guards. They will add a considerable amount of expense as compared to standard lamps however. You will go from maybe $2.00 per lamp to $8.00 per lamp. This would make the payback period mentioned above even longer.

I understand about the pay back time, I am to provide this on the estimate with rough idea of the pay back time.

I had not thought of shatter resistant lamps . Thank you the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.