Sheetrock Repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

Just curious, how many of you repair sheetrock yourselves vs subbing it out? If we have to fish walls, and remove a section of sheetrock here or there, we typically put it back up, and sometimes mud it as well. We dont finish or paint it tho. What is typical in residential construction?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Just curious, how many of you repair sheetrock yourselves vs subbing it out? If we have to fish walls, and remove a section of sheetrock here or there, we typically put it back up, and sometimes mud it as well. We dont finish or paint it tho. What is typical in residential construction?

I will sub out the sheetrock then paint it myself if small area. Otherwise I will subout paint as well.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the home owner knows about it ahead of time then I let them deal with it. If we screw up I will usually try myself or get someone. I have not had an issue with it in many many years. Often we have a general contractor on the job so they can take care of it.

git2work

Drywall guys bury our boxes all the time. Finally bought a wall scanner to locate the buried ones. Before that I'd poke a hole every inch at box height then saw the thing out once I located it. Ever since they invented the roto-zip drywallers have went downhill. If they bury our stuff it's on them to fix their f-up. It's an epidemic I swear.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

norcal

Drywall guys bury our boxes all the time. Finally bought a wall scanner to locate the buried ones. Before that I'd poke a hole every inch at box height then saw the thing out once I located it. Ever since they invented the roto-zip drywallers have went downhill. If they bury our stuff it's on them to fix their f-up. It's an epidemic I swear.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Have read on a forum but not sure which one, where the electrician used a 20# sledge to find buried boxes, a bit drastic but did make a good read. One method have seen drywall crews using is flourescent orange paint to mark box locations on the floor, in one instance did that on a hardwood floor on a fire job. (Was being carpeted though).

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Have read on a forum but not sure which one, where the electrician used a 20# sledge to find buried boxes, a bit drastic but did make a good read. One method have seen drywall crews using is flourescent orange paint to mark box locations on the floor, in one instance did that on a hardwood floor on a fire job. (Was being carpeted though).
The guys who built my house did that on the slab, and years later a big pink "6" slowly appeared in the middle of the vinyl flooring in the kitchen.

This is what I always do, but when buried you can generally find location from layout and then use a straight edge along the wall to find the high spot, hence the box.

norcal

This is what I always do, but when buried you can generally find location from layout and then use a straight edge along the wall to find the high spot, hence the box.

That is the correct way, but the sledge gets the point across where they have buried a lot of them, but I really would not like to do it that way, nor have I.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have rarely made a hole that had to be repaired when finding a box. I found 13 buried boxes and wires in a house and not one unnecessary hole. I usually remember where I installed the outlet and then I feel around and have used the straight edge technique.

One time they had tiled up to the kitchen cabinets and buried my wires behind the tile. For some reason I remembered that all the wires were pulled out directly above receptacles. I chipped a hole and found all 3 under cabinet light wires. Got lucky there

Point taken. It seems to be a worsening epidemic in construction that no one cares about the other guy. Getting worse instead of better. The funny thing is it doesn't take that much effort to work together.

That is the correct way, but the sledge gets the point across where they have buried a lot of them, but I really would not like to do it that way, nor have I.

John120/240

Point taken. It seems to be a worsening epidemic in construction that no one cares about the other guy. Getting worse instead of better. The funny thing is it doesn't take that much effort to work together.

Yes use a straight edge to find buried boxes behind sheet rock. What is a PITA is W/P receptacles, exterior fixtures behind stucco. It is all a reflection on the quality of help that sheet rockers & stucco firms employ.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Yes use a straight edge to find buried boxes behind sheet rock. What is a PITA is W/P receptacles, exterior fixtures behind stucco. It is all a reflection on the quality of help that sheet rockers & stucco firms employ.

it's a story i've told here before, but one of my first journeymen, faced with the
stucco crew filling boxed completely, started locating the box head high,
breaking out both sides of each stud, starting at the corner, till he found the wire,
then following it down to the box. he did three houses in a row that way.....

the fourth house had no box, as the rough crew missed it. he put a box in the last hole
with a tail sticking up the wall....... :ashamed1:

Status
Not open for further replies.