Braided Cloth SE conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_picard

Can't find any docs that indicate Ilsco IPC's or "tap blocks" cannot be used on braided-cloth wire insulation. Is this a myth that needs busting? Or is there a legit reason not to use these on cloth-type insulation?

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I can't help - I'm out of my area - I know little about photovoltaics. But I certainly could do with some education. Tell me about the specific type wire.

Here's what I think I know:
SE as in service entrance is plastic jacketed thhn/thwn. I don't do houses, so I'm not sure I've even seen an SE cable - but still no braid

SE flexible cord, hard usage. I've seen it - don't tend to use it. Its not as good as the specs say at the low temp end. Still no braid

Switchboard wiring. Some has a braid - TBS maybe? Maybe been 30 years since I've seen this.

I left out some of the strange stufff I've seen in the past (>30 years ago)

Just curious: Is this a fine strand, high flexibility conductor?

ice

kwired

Electron manager
Can't find any docs that indicate Ilsco IPC's or "tap blocks" cannot be used on braided-cloth wire insulation. Is this a myth that needs busting? Or is there a legit reason not to use these on cloth-type insulation?
Care to clarify that a little, you would use those connectors on the conductors, not the insulation. My guess is you are asking if it is acceptable to use these conductors on the concentric neutral conductor that is utilized in that particular cable?

c_picard

Sure, they're insulation piercing connectors. They work by cutting through or displacing the insulation. My concern, and I'm not sure it's valid, is that the connectors may not have been tested on the insulation sometimes found in older style service entrance cables. Apologies for the confusion, the braided cloth refers to the covering not the.conductors.

Not sure what the name for that type of insulation is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Sure, they're insulation piercing connectors. They work by cutting through or displacing the insulation. My concern, and I'm not sure it's valid, is that the connectors may not have been tested on the insulation sometimes found in older style service entrance cables. Apologies for the confusion, the braided cloth refers to the covering not the.conductors.

Not sure what the name for that type of insulation is.

I missed the fact these were insulation piercing type connectors which could make some difference. I don't know the answer to your question.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
if the manufacturers instructions do not specify a limiting factor then I would make a call to the manufacturer just to be sure. It really should not matter since those tin-coated teeth will bite down through the insulation regardless of its type and make the connection but always safe to double check. The manufacturers ( believe it or not) like those calls and if you are in a real pinch....why not just contact your NEMA REP for your region and they will get you the information directly from the codes and standards department of the company in question (provided of course they are NEMA Members).

Just some thoughts on the subject.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One concern that I would have is that the insulation displacement connector might be relying on certain mechanical properties of the insulation for strain relief and the cloth insulation might not provide that mechanical support.

Tapatalk!

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
@GoldDigger

Great point....braid will flex and move (not sure how much and if it would affect anything) but the manufacturer (if they have a REAL Codes and Standards Department) should be able to provide these answers.

c_picard

thanks, that's some great feedback. I'll give ilsco a call and let you know what I find.

kwired

Electron manager
@GoldDigger

Great point....braid will flex and move (not sure how much and if it would affect anything) but the manufacturer (if they have a REAL Codes and Standards Department) should be able to provide these answers.
Keep in mind we are talking about using a cable that has been retired from production for fifty or more years, still doesn't hurt to ask but they may not have even done any testing on such cable/conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.