I passed the test . . . . now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billk554

hello I have passed my supervising electricians exam and received a license to do work in Illinois. (not Chicago) I took the test to complete a life time achievement. the results have given me a certain validation to what I have been doing for the last 30 years. I certainly do not want to sell my license (acquire permits for those who can't get their own). the company I work for has no interest in using the license and would rather continue using outside contractors for new work. (I don't have bears or hawks tickets to hand out) I took the test without having a plan on what to do if I passed it. now I passed and want to use it but not in starting a business. how or where can I find a place to use this with out starting a business? I am presently employed as a maintenance electrician in a food processing plant.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
hello I have passed my supervising electricians exam and received a license to do work in Illinois. (not Chicago) I took the test to complete a life time achievement. the results have given me a certain validation to what I have been doing for the last 30 years. I certainly do not want to sell my license (acquire permits for those who can't get their own). the company I work for has no interest in using the license and would rather continue using outside contractors for new work. (I don't have bears or hawks tickets to hand out) I took the test without having a plan on what to do if I passed it. now I passed and want to use it but not in starting a business. how or where can I find a place to use this with out starting a business? I am presently employed as a maintenance electrician in a food processing plant.
Congratulations :thumbsup:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
IMO, I would look for other employment who will offer you better pay because you took the time and are smart enough to pass the test.

kwired

Electron manager

If you are happy with your current job you license means nothing other then whatever personal gratification it gave you.

Do what you need to do to keep that license - like taking any required CEU's and paying renewal fees when it expires. If you ever lose your current job this license could be useful to you.

Cletis

Yeah, nice job :thumbsup: I did the same when I passed mine. But, I use mine heavily and own my business. I framed and posted on wall in office and stare at occasionally in between all the highly stressful daily business things going on. All you can do is frame it and stare at it considering your situation. IMO it's equivalent to a B.S degree in college.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
i passed in ottawa ill.

Now that you passed- get a job......:lol:

Congrats man-- good luck-- you can use the license to work on days off. We have many guys in this area who do side work on the weekend but work at the hospital or Univ during the week.

esox39

Keep in mind that Ottawa license is only in good in what ever municipality will accept it. If you are looking at a project, contact that building dept. prior to make sure its accepted. Good luck!!

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Keep it active. When I completed my college degree, I drove a truck for 5 years, yet never regretted getting through the program. Then, after 33 years working at the college, I retired but found I was bored. That is when you use skills and licenses you held on to for all these years. You may retire and never choose to work again, but for some of us, a change of pace at a different type of company can be lots of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.