Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I am wrong, please.

But you, out there working under the NEC 2008 code, when you replace
a duplex receptacle, does the new duplex receptacle have to be a tamper
resistance model.

And same for exterior ones, added that they would also have to be
weather resistance.

Thanks to all who take the time to add any comment to my post.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Correct me if I am wrong, please.

But you, out there working under the NEC 2008 code, when you replace
a duplex receptacle, does the new duplex receptacle have to be a tamper
resistance model.

And same for exterior ones, added that they would also have to be
weather resistance.

Thanks to all who take the time to add any comment to my post.

Yes all receptacles in a dwelling has to be TR. Receptacles outdoors have to be TR/WR GFCI protected

the new code requires it but a lot of local authorities like the one here in myrtle beach arent requiring it realizing the economy...it basically doubles the price of the installation...myself, working for a service company, not doing a whole house I install the TR and WP when im changing them

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
the new code requires it but a lot of local authorities like the one here in myrtle beach arent requiring it realizing the economy...it basically doubles the price of the installation...myself, working for a service company, not doing a whole house I install the TR and WP when im changing them

Same here but the supply houses are not stocking as many non TR devices since many are using TR now

GUNNING

yes.

yes.

I think that anyone hiring an electrician would expect the best. I replace receptacles with TR receptacles. I use WP/TR gfci's outside where required. I up sell CAFCI's where I can and use them on new circuits. Its what is required, not "do I have to."

I think its just fine to sell a $5 receptacle instead of a $.37 cent receptacle. What's your mark up? Do you want to make 50% on $5.00 or $.37 cents? Value is dollar driven. People think if it costs a lot it must be valuable. If you sell 37 cent receptacles your value is equal to that. If you bring special $5 receptacles to the party, you are valuable and will get paid promptly.

$27 fix should have called the guy next month. $156 fix and show the owner the burned ends and the expensive parts and warranty, priceless.

Yes you have to install TR and WP/TR GFCI receptacles, because their kids and property are worth it. You also should offer to relabel there panel and place your name and license number and PHONE number in there too! So they know how to find you again, because you are of value to them.

If you have old non TR receptacles use them as plugs for disconnects where kids are not going to get into them, attic spaces, truck dock lighting (well maybe not even there) etc. or better yet throw them out.

bphgravity

Most jurisdictions and states adopt an existing building code that will outline when and how electrical work must be performed based on the classification of work being performed (repair, alterations, etc.).

Like for like replacment of devices is typically permitted by the existing building codes if the like-for-like replacment does not continue an unsafe condition or result in a hazardous condition. It could be argued that a non TR-type or WR-type receptacles are to be considered a hazardous product, thus not permitted even under the scope of repair work.

raider1

Staff member
This will be made clearer in the 2011 NEC.

18-24 Log #3467 NEC-P18 Final Action: Accept in Principle
(406.3(D)(3) (New) )
406.3(D)(3) to 406.3(D)(4) and so on for all subsequent existing sections.
(3) Tamper-Resistant Receptacles. Listed tamper-resistant receptacles shall be
provided where replacements are made at receptacle outlets that are required to
be tamper-resistant elsewhere in this Code.
Substantiation: Unless otherwise required in 406.3(D), it is presumed that
tamper-resistant receptacles are only required to be installed at new receptacle
outlet locations in existing occupancies where a receptacle outlet previously
was not installed. For existing occupancies with existing receptacles, if it was
the intent of the NEC to require the existing non-tamper-resistant receptacles to
be replaced with tamper-resistant receptacles, the NEC needs to be properly
correlated to reflect that requirement.
Panel Meeting Action: Accept in Principle
406.3(D)(3) to read as follows:
(3) Tamper-Resistant Receptacles. Listed tamper-resistant receptacles shall be
provided where replacements are made at receptacle outlets that are required to
be tamper-resistant elsewhere in the code.
Renumber subsequent sections.
Panel Statement: The submitter mistakenly asked for this change to the 2005
NEC code text.
Number Eligible to Vote: 11
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 11

Chris

cpal

I agree with Raider the 2011 should put this to rest \

BUT the 2008 does not require TR for replacements if it did they would have spelled it out in 406.3

ceb58

the new code requires it but a lot of local authorities like the one here in myrtle beach arent requiring it realizing the economy...it basically doubles the price of the installation...

And that is a load of beach sand. My cost for tr verses regular is about $0.30 per. Required pass it on. Same for AFCI it is requried and until or if it is changed, that is the way it is. If I were the inspector I would not want to open myself to that liability. Realizing the economy has the gas companies lowered or refused to increase their prices?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I think I misread that if the dwelling is an older home then I don't think that you have to have TR unless your replacing a outlet

I think you misread the whole thing. The OP specifically asked about replacing outlets.

it basically doubles the price of the installation...

How in the world does an extra fifty cents to a dollar "double" the price of the installation? You replace receptacles for $2 each?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Yes you have to install TR and WP/TR GFCI receptacles, because their kids and property are worth it.

Although this sounds like a good argument, if you tried that up here you would be met with a lot of, "Oh really? I've never heard of any child actually electrocuting themselves by sticking things in the outlet. Not in the news, not in my friend circles...nowhere."

And believe me, they gossip like schoolgirls around here. So what is my answer to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.