service disconnect location

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

there are other sections that help define "nearest" like the space requirements for electrical equipment.

M. D.

Disregard my last post as I was guilty of no reading the entire thread...

The meaning has come to represent what the words do not define.

They support Don's opinion ,. In my opinion.

sorry for bothering you:wink:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don's point was that in his opinion the wording of the NEC allows no amount of service conductor to enter the building.

I would have to have come from outside the building directly into the back of the panel. Now as I am sure you are aware in MA that is not the case, most panels are in the basement and have 3' to 5' of service conductors coming in through the sill and down the basement wall into the top of panel. In Don's opinion the NEC directly prohibits that.
You have stated my position correctly.
The one issue I have is "what is inside the building" because you do have to pass though the exterior surface to get to the interior surface. Are you inside the building when you break the exterior surface? I think maybe you are and if that is correct, then the code wording actually requires all service disconnects to be on the exterior of the building. I guess given the lack of overcurrent protection for the service conductors you can make a case that the code should prohibit these conductors from entering the building and should limit their use on an exterior combustible surface.

California is a great example, they allow the RMC service riser to enter the building through the roof and down inside the wall all the way to the panel. One would have to imagine that after many years of allowing this if it was resulting in fires the powers that be would change the rules. Especially since CA seems quick to 'make a rule' needed or not.:smile:
Well, of course. How else do you make it look all pretty on the outside :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.