Electrical License

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
To obtain a license in most states the first prereq before any testing etc. has to be working the the FIELD with tools for a certain period of time. Correct? THanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't know if there is a minimum amount of documented work hours in the field, before you are allowed to take the test. But there is a minimum, before you will get a license to work independently. Here in Washington State, I think the minimum is 8000 hours to get a Journeyman license.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In some areas of TN, an engineering degree is accepted in lieu of experience for some licenses and no experience is needed for certain limited electrical licenses (and it shows)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here in NJ it's 5 years working in the field. NYC, 7.5 years as a Journeyman Electrician.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't know if it's changed in the 20+ years since I got mine, but in CA it was four years of documented experiance. A form(s) had to filled out and signed by you employer(s) and sent in with your application.

Doesn't say where you're from (we really need to require that) but you can contact you license board. In CA the web site is cslb.ca.gov.

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So if I wanted to try and get my license in 6,7 8ish years I would need field experience. Working for an electrical contractor in an office would not suffice? This is NY. Thanks

satcom

I would think that would probably suffice as long as your doing electrical related work in the office, such as estimating

In new jersey they do not count the time estimating, or office work, other states may credit it, so you may have to check your state requirements.

jeremysterling

Used to be, a package with documentation of relevant electrical "experience", submitted respectfully to the board (of municipal electrical department examiners), along with a request to sit for the ____ exam, was good enough.

Said "experience" could come from non-NEC covered work, such as shipboard, manufacturing or engineering.

IMO, in order to be standard, the states have less latitude than municipalities in the variance on experience.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
So if I wanted to try and get my license in 6,7 8ish years I would need field experience. Working for an electrical contractor in an office would not suffice? This is NY. Thanks
Are you after an Electrical Contracting license or a Master/Journeyman Electrician license? That would likely have an impact on what experience you would need to have.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Guess I need to call NY state to confirm that.

There is no NYS statewide licensing. If you're looking at New York City licensing then you can look here. It does say:
you have at least 7 ? years experience immediately prior to the application date, working as a journeyman electrician on the installation, alteration, and repair of wiring and appliances for light, heat, and power in, or on, buildings.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/elec_lic_checklists.pdf

muskrat

Michigan=8000 hrs documented OJT under licensed Journeyman or higher to sit for Journeyman test. 4000 hrs as lic. jour. ele. to sit for Master Ele. test. Must have "Master of Record" signed on to get Contractors.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Are you after an Electrical Contracting license or a Master/Journeyman Electrician license? That would likely have an impact on what experience you would need to have.

I would want a journeyman/MAster license. Well I am really after just learning everything that is needed for the journeyman/Master license so I guess I can study over the next several years and not really worry about licensing because I won't be able to obtain it with NO field experience.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would want a journeyman/MAster license. Well I am really after just learning everything that is needed for the journeyman/Master license so I guess I can study over the next several years and not really worry about licensing because I won't be able to obtain it with NO field experience.

Is this the New York City Master Electricians license you're looking to get? If so I believe that a portion of the test is practical/hands-on. Not sure how you could pass that part without some experience working in the field.

Bernard1599

To obtain a license in most states the first prereq before any testing etc. has to be working the the FIELD with tools for a certain period of time. Correct? THanks.

In Maryland:

DLLR's Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing

License Requirements - Maryland Board of Master Electricians

All applicants for a master electricians license must be regularly engaged in or employed to provide electrical services for all categories of electrical equipment for at least seven years, while under the direction and supervision of a master electrician.

roger3829

In CT it's 8000 hrs. OJT as a REGISTERED apprentice working for an E1 Contractor and 720 hours of classroom time before you're eligible to take the E2 Journeyman?s exam. 4000 hours OJT plus 90 hours of classroom time before you're eligible to take E1 Contractors test.

Status
Not open for further replies.