Fri Picture-22 #12 wires in a 3/4" RMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This is a picture of 22 #12 THHW wires in a 3/4" RMC conduit. Note the code maximum is 14.
I had another run installed at the same time of 7 #10 and 2 #12 in a 3/4" RMC, those I managed to pull out with a tugger. The 22 are there forever.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Pray tell, how did they get all those wires in there in the first place. I guess that yellow pulling compound is all dried up solid inside that pipe so they won't move now. :)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It ran thru liquid tight and I couldn't pull off the male adapter. I cut the wires off with a sawzall. They were perfectly lined up with no twists, must of taken some time to line up all the spools. I forgot to mention it was solid wire. I hate solid wire.

Jim W in Tampa

It ran thru liquid tight and I couldn't pull off the male adapter. I cut the wires off with a sawzall. They were perfectly lined up with no twists, must of taken some time to line up all the spools. I forgot to mention it was solid wire. I hate solid wire.

I would try to pull 1 wire at a time and let them stretch a bit without breaking. That just might be enough to get them started. How long is run and how many bends ?

jeremysterling

Pray tell, how did they get all those wires in there in the first place. I guess that yellow pulling compound is all dried up solid inside that pipe so they won't move now. :)

I use to work for a guy who calculated wire fill with a 3/4" close nipple and around two-dozen 6" lengths of #12 TEF. When he couldn't shove as many as were required, we'd up-size the conduit. This was not for NEC covered work.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I use to work for a guy who calculated wire fill with a 3/4" close nipple and around two-dozen 6" lengths of #12 TEF. When he couldn't shove as many as were required, we'd up-size the conduit. This was not for NEC covered work.
There is no limit for a close nipple and that wouldn't be hard but a pull underground thru RMC-- 3/4" no less, with that many wires could be a bear but obviously doable.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no limit for a close nipple and that wouldn't be hard but a pull underground thru RMC-- 3/4" no less, with that many wires could be a bear but obviously doable.

Actually close nipples have a fill limit of 60%. Chapter 9 Notes to tables #4. According to the wording this would not apply to a chase nipple.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Actually close nipples have a fill limit of 60%. Chapter 9 Notes to tables #4. According to the wording this would not apply to a chase nipple.
You are correct. I was thinking about sleeves. Why a sleeve can be filled 100% and a nipple cannot is a bit odd to me especially without any limit to the length of the sleeve. Note #2. :-?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Is that an interpretation of chapter 9 table 1 note 2?
Are you asking me if my statement is my interpretation? Well yeah but how else can that be read.

Notes to Tables

(2) Table 1 applies only to complete conduit or tubing systems and is not intended to apply to sections of conduit or tubing used to protect exposed wiring from physical damage.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
just checking WHERE you got it from since a sleeve could be a long pipe I thought fill requirements would apply
That was my point. A short nipple had requirements but a sleeve with no length mentioned can be filled up without reference to this Table. :-?

Regularkevin

I was on a job recently and we'd have issues with pulling wire through or back out... my JW used diet coke as a temporary lubricant. Apparently the bubbles get in there and let everything slide around.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The total run was 20ft with 2 90 degree bends, one end transitioned to a short length of LT.
The other end went to a 6x6x6 malleable box. I'll post a picture of that later.

Jim W in Tampa

I was on a job recently and we'd have issues with pulling wire through or back out... my JW used diet coke as a temporary lubricant. Apparently the bubbles get in there and let everything slide around.

Not sure about diet coke but i do know reg. coke is an acid. Not sure if that is good idea or not. Maybe some WD40.
Being run is short i would try to pull 1 strand at a time even if it breaks untill enough are out to pull the rest out. We as electricians should never need face messes like this. My findings have been i can often pull out even very long runs easily that took 4 men and tugger to get them in. Not above using rope and truck or lift to get them out. Get it started and they will come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.