NFPA 70E, Maintenance and Safety Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormfood

I've recently taken a job at a small manufacturing facility as a Controls Engineer. The first week on the job I was informed by the safety coordinatior that NFPA 70E was a "standard" for the facility, and that the previous engineer's energized work permits had not been updated in over a year (in over 3 years after I looked at the permits).

All the permits were filled out exactly the same except the location with and arc flash and shock hazard analysis using the blanket NFPA 70E 130.3(A), since the biggest voltage in the plant is 480VAC and 600V DC. The Description reading "Replacing fuses, Tightening terminals, Conductor installation, replacement or relocation." After checking with maintenance, I found that there are no PMs for daily, weekly, monthly or annually inspections on any of the electrical equipment. I don't want to take a step backward with regard to what has been done here since we are OSHA SHARP certified, but I really want to chunk the standing permints (rather than re-isssue), and issue energized permits as needed and approved by myself and management until such a time that a standing permit makes sense. As I've stated, there are no maintenance routines against them, and I'm sure any work done was break/fix. I do not know the implications of the decision to start over, and was wondering if there are any suggestions on the route I should take.

I also do not have the knowledge of where to go to create a solid maintenance program for the electrical equipment. And hoping someone can give me some insight on finding some information. My previous position was a Controls Engineer at the corporate level with minimal exposure to to NFPA 70E (installations) and no exposure to the maintenance of the equipment, just standard control panel maintence (changing PLC batteries. fuses, etc).

This position is really turning into a Plant Electrical Engineering position with control work (since I'm now responsible for everything with a wire from the switch gear on) and I would really like to see a safety program here that is used properly and not just a showing for an award.

WorkSafe

Good luck with your research and lets hope your management is onboard with what you suggest on doing. People don't like change, especially if they think it will not benefit them, so communicating your plan to them and the workforce is vital.

zog

I've recently taken a job at a small manufacturing facility as a Controls Engineer. The first week on the job I was informed by the safety coordinatior that NFPA 70E was a "standard" for the facility, and that the previous engineer's energized work permits had not been updated in over a year (in over 3 years after I looked at the permits).

All the permits were filled out exactly the same except the location with and arc flash and shock hazard analysis using the blanket NFPA 70E 130.3(A), since the biggest voltage in the plant is 480VAC and 600V DC. The Description reading "Replacing fuses, Tightening terminals, Conductor installation, replacement or relocation." After checking with maintenance, I found that there are no PMs for daily, weekly, monthly or annually inspections on any of the electrical equipment. I don't want to take a step backward with regard to what has been done here since we are OSHA SHARP certified, but I really want to chunk the standing permints (rather than re-isssue), and issue energized permits as needed and approved by myself and management until such a time that a standing permit makes sense. As I've stated, there are no maintenance routines against them, and I'm sure any work done was break/fix. I do not know the implications of the decision to start over, and was wondering if there are any suggestions on the route I should take.

I also do not have the knowledge of where to go to create a solid maintenance program for the electrical equipment. And hoping someone can give me some insight on finding some information. My previous position was a Controls Engineer at the corporate level with minimal exposure to to NFPA 70E (installations) and no exposure to the maintenance of the equipment, just standard control panel maintence (changing PLC batteries. fuses, etc).

This position is really turning into a Plant Electrical Engineering position with control work (since I'm now responsible for everything with a wire from the switch gear on) and I would really like to see a safety program here that is used properly and not just a showing for an award.

Most people pay little attention to chapter 2 (Safety-related maintenence requirements) of the NFPA 70E that addresses your question. Since an arc flash study relies on the proper operation of your circuit breakers they are considered essential for employee safety.

Article 200.1 specifically refers to the NFPA 70B or NETA standards for maintenence intervals. You can get a free copy of NETA's recommened frequescy of maintenence test from thier webiste www.netaworld.org or PM me your contact info and I will email it to you (Too large to attach here)

Good luck on your new venture and welcome to the forum.

tryinghard

Wormfood, I'm glad I found this post! I'm in the same place as you where I work. I actually have about 25 different locations to visit and assess equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.