Electrical Splicing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a retro house and preparing it for sale, during the sit time vandals broke into house and cut all electrical lines leading from sub panel to branch circuits throughout the house. I am running new wire from Breaker panel into to attic space, but I have been unable to find any specific code that tells me if there is a certain distance to achieve before I can splice the new conductors to the existing conductors. The main feed to Sub panel was also cut it is aluminum wiring jacketed can this be spliced and junction or does this run need to be repulled from Main Panel to Sub panel. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide.
Thank You

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I am working on a retro house and preparing it for sale, during the sit time vandals broke into house and cut all electrical lines leading from sub panel to branch circuits throughout the house. I am running new wire from Breaker panel into to attic space, but I have been unable to find any specific code that tells me if there is a certain distance to achieve before I can splice the new conductors to the existing conductors. The main feed to Sub panel was also cut it is aluminum wiring jacketed can this be spliced and junction or does this run need to be repulled from Main Panel to Sub panel. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide.
Thank You

There is no rule on distance, only that the splices must be in boxes, secured and accessible.

electricalist

I'm not trying to change your mind but if I could id just pull a new hr to where it originally started. That's Alot of attic time plus the box and figuring out the circuit. Probably cheaper to pull new wire.

John120/240

The main feed to Sub panel was also cut it is aluminum wiring jacketed can this be spliced and junction or does this run need to be repulled from Main Panel to Sub panel. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide.
Thank You

Yes you can splice the Sub Panel feed using appropriate connectors (Polaris Taps is one method) & enclosures. I have no regrets about splicing Branch Circuit conductors, but splicing larger wires, like in your case doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling. Although acceptable it just don't feel right for some reason.

Personally I would replace your Sub Panel feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.