splicing feeders in switchboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1200 amp switchboard. There is currently a 200 amp feeder to an ats. I am planning to run the load side of the ats back to the switchboard and feed two 200 amp feeders that are currently supplied by the switchboard. I was planning to connect the three cables per phase either with Polaris style connectors or a terminal block mounted to the top or side of the switchboard. Does anyone see any issues with this in terms of splicing, bending space, fill, etc? This is an unfamiliar jurisdiction for me and I just want to be prepared for a real picky inspector. Thanks

david

Wouldn?t running the load side of the ATS back to the 1200 amp switch board back feed the utility in an outage

never mind your not connecting back to the switch board your wanting to splice feeders at the switch board

Last edited:

david

.....or I do have a spare 400 amp compartment. If I can get approved lugs that take 3 cables could I just splice them on the load terminals (and remove the fuses of course)?

ii couldn't see you getting an approval if you tie back into the switch board equipment ( 400 Amp Switch)

david

Why do you need to splice in the switch board?

why not just get another ATS if you have a 400 Amp Spare and feed the two 200 amp panels through a new ATS?

ii couldn't see you getting an approval if you tie back into the switch board equipment ( 400 Amp Switch)

just to make sure we are on the same page, you mean if I land a supply on the load lugs and use the load lugs as a splice?

I want to splice in the switchboard because that is where the feeders are and it seems most cost effective plus they are not long enough to make it out of the switchboard.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Now that you know how to re-design the wheel :), in answer to your OP, 314.8 would, I believe, be your governing rule and judging by the size of your switchboard I would imagine you can easily find a spot where you will find no problem with the 40% rule

david

just to make sure we are on the same page, you mean if I land a supply on the load lugs and use the load lugs as a splice?

I want to splice in the switchboard because that is where the feeders are and it seems most cost effective plus they are not long enough to make it out of the switchboard.

Yes I think we are on the same page you want to rely on removing the fuses on a 400 amp switch to insure that the load side of the ATS does not back feed the 1200 amp Switch board.

I cannot see you getting an approval if you tie into the switchboard equipment to make the splice to the 200 amp feeders even if you remove the fuses

RUWired

I have a 1200 amp switchboard. There is currently a 200 amp feeder to an ats. I am planning to run the load side of the ats back to the switchboard and feed two 200 amp feeders that are currently supplied by the switchboard. I was planning to connect the three cables per phase either with Polaris style connectors or a terminal block mounted to the top or side of the switchboard. Does anyone see any issues with this in terms of splicing, bending space, fill, etc? This is an unfamiliar jurisdiction for me and I just want to be prepared for a real picky inspector. Thanks

I think you have a problem with article 408.3(A)3. These "ATS load conductors" and the (2) feeders going out are not originating from switchboard now that they are being spliced together from an outside source.(the ats and generator).

Last edited:
Now that you know how to re-design the wheel :), in answer to your OP, 314.8 would, I believe, be your governing rule and judging by the size of your switchboard I would imagine you can easily find a spot where you will find no problem with the 40% rule

I think you have a problem with article 408.3(A)3. These "ATS load conductors" and the (2) feeders going out are not originating from switchboard now that they are being spliced together from an outside source.(the ats and generator).

Augie, did you mean 312.8? Hmmm seems to be a conflict between 312.8 and 408.3(A). I know a panelboard is mounted in a cabinet, but maybe a switchboard is not mounted in a cabinet so 312 doesnt apply? Or perhaps 408.3 is referring to the conductors and busbars that form the line side supplies to sections and compartments, not the load side conductors?

I have abandoned the idea of landing the three sets on the compartment load side lugs. Square D doesnt make any such lugs for this older switchboard. Actually the only reason I was considering this is it would come in real handy to have two supplies while working on this as may need some more capacity than 200A while I am doing the switchover. I need to combine these feeders to the ATS and then shed load down a bit by redirecting some circuits from the served panelboards to a non ATS supply. Its all a little too funky.

Status
Not open for further replies.