Using Panel as Junction box

Status
Not open for further replies.

newservice

Customer has a 150amp Sq. D. Homeline service panel existing. I am relocating the service to allow construction of an addition onto the house, and I would like to just gut that panel and splice the branch circuits over to the new panel location. This would turn it into a giant J box, the only thing in it would be the spliced branch circuits at that point.
What I am looking for is a blank metal cover for that existing HOM panel, to enclose it when I'm done, sort of like a blank cover for a J box. Anyone know if this is something they sell, or if I fabricated one, would if fly under code, not being listed? Do they make something other than the little individual blanks for the c/b's? Thanks

Hendrix

when I've used the existing cover I've drilled through the door and bolted it shut so the cover must be removed for access.

Not sure if it was required, just seemed like a good idea. At least kiddies would need a screwdriver to access all those splices.
I have welded them shut.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
But that's unfair for those of us that like to swing the door open and use it as a handle while we take out the last cover screw.

JAP>

iwire

Staff member
I would like to just gut that panel and splice the branch circuits over to the new panel location. This would turn it into a giant J box, the only thing in it would be the spliced branch circuits at that point.

I am going to be a bit nit picky here and point out once you remove the guts all you have is a cabinet that article 312 applies to.

To the NEC the 'guts' is the panelboard not including the enclosure.

From Article 100

Panelboard. A single panel or group of panel units designed
for assembly in the form of a single panel, including
buses and automatic overcurrent devices, and equipped
with or without switches for the control of light, heat, or
power circuits; designed to be placed in a cabinet or cutout
box
placed in or against a wall, partition, or other support;
and accessible only from the front.

Cabinet. An enclosure that is designed for either surface
mounting or flush mounting and is provided with a frame,
mat, or trim in which a swinging door or doors are or can
be hung.

The reason I point this out is that splicing in a cabinet is not prohibited by article 312.

Status
Not open for further replies.