DIY Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Here is what I found on a service call yesterday. Three rooms where down--A DIYer's work [see below]:

Last edited:

360Youth

What did they do? Open splice in the wall with nothing more than extention ring, and plate, I assume?

What caused the fire? Poor connections?

frankft2000

My guess you have never been to the big orange.
They used to sell those in a ten pack for 2.99 when they first came out.

I have never seen a Arlington product at any big box stores in Maine. Around here, Arlington is a supply house item only. It must be a regional thing.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i was @ HD last week getting blinds and passing the electrical aisle, noticed they too now have the arlington BE1's.

i've always had to special order these a hundred at a time from the supply house.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
That BE-1 is cooked, my guess is the DIYer is the HO that called you, they just won't fess up to it.

jetlag

So what are people using in your area that would serve the same purpose? Or does everyone relocate/replace boxes that are set too deep?

Im not sure I understand the post either, are people saying the extension rings are not allowed ? Also what does one do when 3/4 " is needed and not 1" ? cut the ring off ? I have done that a few times on old work .

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Im not sure I understand the post either, are people saying the extension rings are not allowed ?
Not instead of a box.

Also what does one do when 3/4 " is needed and not 1" ? cut the ring off ? I have done that a few times on old work .
The flaps bend and should fit inside the box without being cut.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The newer BE1's do not have flaps. I suppose you will need to clip some off. I don't know a single inspector in my time that would tag you for that.

jetlag

Well if you are going to break the code with an extension and no box you might as well have fun and use the bottomless low voltage box that have remodel clamps to hold it in :grin::roll:

Jim W in Tampa

Well if you are going to break the code with an extension and no box you might as well have fun and use the bottomless low voltage box that have remodel clamps to hold it in :grin::roll:

Beats what i seen in an office break room. There inhouse wanta be electrician added a switch to kill the 277 volt lights and just cut an opening in the drywall, no box or nothing just ran mc to it and at 2x4 layin didnt use a fitting there either. We will always see hack work , its just part of life.Fix what we can and hopefully save a life or prevent a fire

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Here is what I found on a service call yesterday. Three rooms where down--A DIYer's work [see below]:
I do exclusively industrial, and I'm lost here. What are you seeing that tells you this was a DIY?

This is just a curiousity question. It is nothing I would likely run into, but it is interesting.

ice

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Beats what i seen in an office break room. There inhouse wanta be electrician added a switch to kill the 277 volt lights and just cut an opening in the drywall, no box or nothing just ran mc to it and at 2x4 layin didnt use a fitting there either. We will always see hack work , its just part of life.Fix what we can and hopefully save a life or prevent a fire

If you think you see a lot of hack work, you wouldn't believe what us inspectors see. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.