armored cable connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwinCitySparky

Trying to confirm that the "snap-in" style connectors without a screw cannot be used with AC cable - only MC.

I've looked at art 320 - AC cable absolutely needs a compression style connector. Is this true? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Pierre. The manufacturer's listing of the connector would be needed to provide that information. Here's one such connector that so listed:

SNAP2IT%20Connectors.jpg

http://www.arlcatalog.com/Flex/SNAP2IT Connectors.htm

TwinCitySparky

Wow - they do make them!

I figured with the internal bonding strip design of AC cable that these types of connectors would not be acceptable.

I'll make sure the type I use is indeed listed for AC.

Now I know!

Thank you!

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I agree with Pierre. The manufacturer's listing of the connector would be needed to provide that information. Here's one such connector that so listed:

SNAP2IT%20Connectors.jpg

http://www.arlcatalog.com/Flex/SNAP2IT Connectors.htm

We have a job where our installer used Southwire HCF MC-AP with Arlington 38AST fittings. He had looked at the box and determined this was an acceptable fitting. But the label on the MC says "Use type MC cable fittings marked MCI-A." I did not see this on the box. Are these fittings still acceptable?

We have a job where our installer used Southwire HCF MC-AP with Arlington 38AST fittings. He had looked at the box and determined this was an acceptable fitting. But the label on the MC says "Use type MC cable fittings marked MCI-A." I did not see this on the box. Are these fittings still acceptable?

After a long week, and sitting, typing and eating snacks, I am too lazy to look...isn't the designation I highlighted for box clamps???

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I use those arlignton connectors they are quick. I still think they are hard to remove.
Install is a time saver.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician

Oops, not an acceptable fitting. Here is the list of fittings from Southwire. (pdf)

"marked MCI-A"

Take a look at (QCIT), Metallic Outlet Boxes
UL White book.

Those designations are also used for box clamps. Page 258 of the '08 version.

""MCI" for metal-clad interlocking armored cable"

""MCI-A" for metal-clad interlocking armor ground cable"

LJSMITH1

The cable manufacturer's table is a great starting point, but the manufacturer label is the most up-to-date indication of what the fitting in the box can be used on.

Status
Not open for further replies.