Wow some people have nerve

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

...........He picks my price and job to pieces, can't do all at once, is that my best price, etc. He could buy cheaper toys, do without 1 or 2, still have nice stuff, pay my price and have $ left over. ..........

That's how some people get all those nice toys.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
That's how some people get all those nice toys.
Yes, you are right. But we need to fight them all the way. I'm not jealous of someone else's better situation but I won't let him bleed me to pay for toys. A guy whined once about the price of a new breaker and labor for his hot tub. I said "That's why I don't have one. They are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain." A woman & her husband had bought a new downdraft range to replace their old Jennair. They knew the wiring and ducting had totally changed over with Jennair absorbed by Maytag. Paid $1,800 for the new one. I had to cut cabinets for it to fit in, move wiring and ducting. She started in that she didn't know if she could afford all this work. She was a teacher's aid in a church school. I said my mother was a teacher for 30 years and we always bought $300 stoves that plug in the wall. I wasn't rude with it, but I couldn't let them get by with implying that I was a thief.

Millions of old ladies with tattoos and pierced navels? Get me a puke bucket!

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
just like today,we were finishing out a kitchen remodel that we started a month ago,got there today contractor stated (hey i forgot to tell you about the under sink water heater they added).well by now the walls were all covered up and a pain to get a new circuit too,got that done then he said (hey can you hang this new ceiling fan before you leave?LOL

Bigrig

just like today,we were finishing out a kitchen remodel that we started a month ago,got there today contractor stated (hey i forgot to tell you about the under sink water heater they added).well by now the walls were all covered up and a pain to get a new circuit too,got that done then he said (hey can you hang this new ceiling fan before you leave?LOL

Hope you were paid for these "additional services". Otherwise next job with this GC it will only get worse.

haskindm

I started out in the car business with a very knowledgeable business owner. One lesson that he taught me is that you never lower your price without a reason. If you just meet the price that a customer offers, they will often then offer you an even lower price. Reasons, such as "that car has been on the lot for awhile, so I can take another $100 off".
I bought a boat many years ago. The salesman gave me his price and I made a counter-offer. He said that he could meet my price, but could not include the battery for that price. I accepted the offer and supplied my own battery.
There must be a reason to lower the price, otherwise the customer will assume that there is more discount available. A discount for cash. A discount if we can work it in with another job in the area. A discount if they agree to the price today. Something that lets them know that they must give up something in order to get a lower price.

mcclary's electrical

Any of them hiring?

Larry, you wouldn't want to work for him. He hires young guys and puts up tract homes and high production subdivisions. He pays most of the guys wiring the houses 10-12 bucks an hour. They only do new work, and only houses. It's all they know, but they know it well. His largest builder builds 300-325 homes a year, and that's just one builder he works for. I have managed my entire electrical career without helping him on his work:grin: He's alway offering helpful advice to me though, I appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.