Dedicated Electrical Space 110.26 (F)(1)(a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Solid pipe - no fittings.

Now explain what this means:

(c) Sprinkler Protection. Sprinkler protection shall be
permitted for
the dedicated space where the piping complies
with this section.

And you could comply how?

Solid pipe or fittings would not matter.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
From personal experience, in a conditioned space, I have not seen a problem with solid pipe but have with fittings.

The rule says that sprinkler protection is permitted for the dedicated space, it does not say that the sprinkler piping can be run in the dedicated space 6 or less from the top of the equipment.

kwired

Electron manager
So you eliminate the drip pan. That still leaves the pipes.
Close off the space with a "structural" chase or relocate the pipes?
The code problem is not the threat of dripping. That would be an issue if the pipes were outside the *dedicated* space or if the concern was a *working* space violation from the pan.
My solution was only for eliminating the need of drip pan, but yes in the OP images you still have the pipes in the dedicated space whether there is a drip pan or not.

One other thing that is kind of a joke is with a pressurized pipe, how are you to know where it will leak and what it will spray on? It does not need to be in the dedicated space to leak onto the electrical equipment when it has some pressure behind it:roll:

I understand protection from things like condensation, but protection from leaks - about the only thing you truly can do is a double walled pipe- but still need to know the inner pipe is leaking or else you are back to square one.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Solid pipe - no fittings.

Now explain what this means:

(c) Sprinkler Protection. Sprinkler protection shall be
permitted for
the dedicated space where the piping complies
with this section.

And you could comply how?

I don't even know why that section exists. It requires the sprinkler piping to comply with the rules in the section.

I guess maybe it is permitting the sprinkler head itself to be below the protection.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
The rule says that sprinkler protection is permitted for the dedicated space, it does not say that the sprinkler piping can be run in the dedicated space 6 or less from the top of the equipment.

I don't even know why that section exists. It requires the sprinkler piping to comply with the rules in the section.

I guess maybe it is permitting the sprinkler head itself to be below the protection.

I had to ask! LOL

kwired

Electron manager

Maybe it means a drip pan/shield is not needed for sprinkler protection? The piping still needs to be outside dedicated space but the area sprinkled can include the dedicated space?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Maybe it means a drip pan/shield is not needed for sprinkler protection? The piping still needs to be outside dedicated space but the area sprinkled can include the dedicated space?
I think that is correct. Protect the equipment from leaks in the system but still let the system do its job if there is a fire.

safari49

The NEC places the clear space from the floor , I see nothing indicating the drip pan is below the top of the equipment or below 6 1/2 feet above the floor, there is no requirement that it be clear for 6 1/2 feet above the equipment.

Without a measurement from the floor there is no basis for judgment.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
The NEC places the clear space from the floor , I see nothing indicating the drip pan is below the top of the equipment or below 6 1/2 feet above the floor, there is no requirement that it be clear for 6 1/2 feet above the equipment.

The Code requires the dedicated equipment space to be from the floor to a height of 6 ft above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower (110.26(E)(1)(a))

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

You may be confusing dedicated space (above the equipment) with working space (in front of the equipment).

kwired

Electron manager

If the equipment would be taller then 6.5 feet tall you could have foreign systems within the equipment then?

Work space and dedicated spaces are not the same:happyyes:

mwm1752

I not the > 6' reasoning based on access for electrical wiring into the top more than protection from a plumbing or other mishap? a pipe breaks above the dedicated space and the protection fails it would not matter if the break is 10' or 3' the fluid will still fall upon the equipment. So the drip pan shall be > 6' above.

Status
Not open for further replies.