Why am I at a sandwich shop at 2:00 AM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

I could, in this case I did not happen to have a 2 pole FPE breaker in the truck.....

I would have back fed a new 70 amp breaker in the panel that I installed ,.. simple and not very expensive ,.. not the end of the world that you didn't.,. I am a bit surprised though..

iwire

Staff member
I would have back fed a new 70 amp breaker in the panel that I installed ,.. simple and not very expensive ,.. not the end of the world that you didn't.,. I am a bit surprised though..

Not simple after 6PM when I arrived at the job with the stock already there. :smile:

My buddy had about 15 minutes to make a stock list and get to a supply house, hindsight is 20/20.

But enough excuses, it is what it is. If I was honestly worried about it I could have made a big stink about it and we might have gotten what we needed at a Home depot or Lowe's, do they have Siemens?

peter d

Lots of Monday morning quarterbacking going on this thread. :rolleyes:

Bob replaces a melting down panel with a brand new one and people still have things to criticize. :roll:

iwire

Staff member
Lots of Monday morning quarterbacking going on this thread. :rolleyes:

Bob replaces a melting down panel with a brand new one and people still have things to criticize. :roll:

Pete, thank you but really it is OK. :smile:

I don't think anyone has said anything wrong or untrue, it could have been done better.

emahler

Bob....is this project something that your company would normally do? or is it just a timing issue?

i wouldn't expect you guys to mess with this stuff...

Karl H

Geez guy's! The man mopped the floor and hung a shelf during a shut
down for the customer. What next? Are you guys going to question why
he did'nt do the onion prep for the lunch rush the next day?:D

M. D.

Geez guy's! The man mopped the floor and hung a shelf during a shut
down for the customer..............

Which is exactly why I am a bit surprised that he/they would not have addressed the improper OCP on the feeder :smile:

B4T

If you have a MLO sub, the conductors should be protected at it's supply source.
No main needed at the sub.

I understand there is a main SOMEWHERE else.. but we are dealing with people making meatball heroes. Most people are taught to shut the main breaker if there is an emergency. Do you really think the people doing the hiring even knows where the main breaker is??? And do you expect him or her to explain to new personal about where to go in an emergency. They are lucky enough to find people who can make exact change and that is with the register telling them how much to count. I never sell a panel without a main breaker. Just the way I would want it in my own house. :grin:

Karl H

I understand there is a main SOMEWHERE else.. but we are dealing with people making meatball heroes. Most people are taught to shut the main breaker if there is an emergency. Do you really think the people doing the hiring even knows where the main breaker is??? And do you expect him or her to explain to new personal about where to go in an emergency. They are lucky enough to find people who can make exact change and that is with the register telling them how much to count. I never sell a panel without a main breaker. Just the way I would want it in my own house. :grin:

I see your point,I really do. I've changed out hundreds of panels and I've
always been able to find the main for the panel. Granted I'm a electrician
and not a sandwhich maker. As a electrician I don't see a need for a breaker
at a sub. Like I said I do see your point. I think I might start installing
breakers at subs and putting labels on them that say,"Emergency Shut-Off."
In Kitchens I can see it, but in offices or houses I don't. But then again
there's nothing wrong with going the extra mile when safety is concerned.
I admire that.

M. D.

table 310.16 ,..Bob is under the 08 so the conductor, if indeed a #2 al. is only good for 75 amps.. 338.10(B)(4) 2008 nec sends us to 334 and 334 tells us to use the 60 degree column ..

He cited rule 3 which basically tells us that as long as you do not increase the magnitude of or create a new,. violation,.. you can add to existing wiring even though there is an existing violation..

Most inspectors will see nothing wrong with a #2 al. on a 100 amp breaker regardless of our rule 3

Karl H

table 310.16 ,..Bob is under the 08 so the conductor, if indeed a #2 al. is only good for 75 amps.. 338.10(B)(4) 2008 nec sends us to 334 and 334 tells us to use the 60 degree column ..

He cited rule 3 which basically tells us that as long as you do not increase the magnitude of or create a new,. violation,.. you can add to existing wiring even though there is an existing violation..

Most inspectors will see nothing wrong with a #2 al. on a 100 amp breaker regardless of our rule 3

MD you are right and I must say I thought it was #2 THHN CU, I didn't realize
it was AL. I don't use AL conductors so I just made a A** of myself by
assuming lol. I should of known by the factory white marking on the neutral.
Now I see why you were making such a stink about the OCPD.

Those on the forum are going to experience great joy watching Bob
tear up, prepping onions for not replacing the oversized OCPD protecting
the #2 AL conductors. <WINK> Bob, if it's any help, I used to work at
Burger King when I was a kid.If you PM me I can give you tips on how
to prep onions. :D :D

peter d

I don't think anyone has said anything wrong or untrue, it could have been done better.

Yes, but given the fact that you said you had very limited time and resources, I would think some slack should be given. And that's just my point, with hindsight we can always think of ways things can be done better, but as Marc would say "good enough is good enough."

Karl H

Bob, do you know how to wire a glass house?
Because, every perfect electrician on this forum, knows they live in one.
Mine has a sweet, limo tint. :D

M. D.

Bob ,.. from what I can tell ,.. is quite satisfied with how they left it and is well aware of the violation.

I did not make a stink ,...I asked a question ,..raised a concern and gave an opinion ,... which is par for the course .

Karl H

Bob ,.. from what I can tell ,.. is quite satisfied with how they left it and is well aware of the violation.

I did not make a stink ,...I asked a question ,..raised a concern and gave an opinion ,... which is par for the course .

Don't get me wrong I didn't mean it in a bad way . I just was wondering why you kept bringing it up, for my own education.:)

e57

I understand there is a main SOMEWHERE else.. but we are dealing with people making meatball heroes. Most people are taught to shut the main breaker if there is an emergency. ~~~~ I never sell a panel without a main breaker. Just the way I would want it in my own house. :grin:
Terminology would suggest that you think the the POCO conductors should be brought to this panel - when I hear the words "Main breaker" I assume the one(s) at the service entrance. What type of emergency would having a 'panel' breaker avoid? There is/should be OCP on the other side of that feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.