IC Recessed fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
I have a new basement room with a suspended ceiling with about 4" clearance, floor above is insulated ,my question would be do I need to use IC rated recessed fixtures? I plan to install them between the floor joists.

pete m.

410.116 Clearance and Installation.(A) Clearance.
(1) Non-Type IC. A recessed luminaire that is not identified for contact with insulation shall have all recessed parts spaced not less than 13 mm (1/2 in.) from combustible materials. The points of support and the trim finishing off the opening in the ceiling or wall surface shall be permitted to be in contact with combustible materials.
(2) Type IC. A recessed luminaire that is identified for contact with insulation, Type IC, shall be permitted to be in contact with combustible materials at recessed parts, points of support, and portions passing through or finishing off the opening in the building structure.
(B) Installation. Thermal insulation shall not be installed above a recessed luminaire or within 75 mm (3 in.) of the recessed luminaire's enclosure, wiring compartment, or ballast unless it is identified for contact with insulation, Type IC.

This may help clear it up.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.