Help identifying mystery wiring in old bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a 1940s bungalow in Dearborn MI, next to the outlet adjacent to the lavatory in the bathroom, there is a wall box with a blank plate over it, with what looks to be an abandoned thermostat wire coiled up inside. It appears as if nothing was never connected to this wire and the box and wire were installed at the time the house was built because you can tell it has been sitting there, undisturbed the whole time. It is also not connected to anything in the basement.

I have never seen anything like this. This was a very basic house, with nothing fancy like a butler call system, or zoned heat, or heated floors. Does anyone know what this would have been for?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Possibly an old chime. Was this mounted high or standard height. I have seen some old chimes that fit into a switch box.

wdemos

What size is the wall box?
What height is it installed?
What size and type of wire?
What is above or below the bathroom?
All these are clues I love these types of mysteries.

I grew up in a bungalow in Lincoln Park, MI.

Bill

growler

In a 1940s bungalow in Dearborn MI, next to the outlet adjacent to the lavatory in the bathroom, there is a wall box with a blank plate over it, with what looks to be an abandoned thermostat wire coiled up inside. Does anyone know what this would have been for?

Wire is just wire until it's connected to something so there are many possibilities. Old telephone wire looked a lot like thermosat wire ( maybe they wanted a phone in the john), the wire could have run to a radio antenna ( a music lover ) or maybe it is just thermostat wire in the wrong place ( mistakes happen, even back then ).

Maybe it was connected to a buzzer to let his wife know to bring him another roll of toilet paper ( I hate getting stranded without a roll ). :D:D One of those great ideas that just never caught on.

ultramegabob

My grandfather had MS, they installed a button next to his chair that rang a bell outside of the house if he had a problem and my grandmother was out in the yard, the neighbors also new was the bell was for and would come and check if it went off.

480sparky

Check it for voltage. If there is none, hook up a tone set (fox and hound) and try to find the other end of it. Where the other end is, or isn't, should give you a huge clue.

stud696981

It may be part of a low voltage relay system for light controls. I have seen some houses in Dearborn, MI that have a relay system to control the lighting located in the attic and the basement. The switches use the wire you are talking about. Maybe this house had that system and abandoned it for a newer wiring method.

nakulak

it was for a separate heater/zone for the bath, or possibly exhaust fan, and they didn't install it.

danickstr

changed wall locations after the rough electrical was finished. Decided to just cover plate the box instead of removing it, or forgot to take it out.

480sparky

Someone took a box, nailed it to a stud. He then took a scrap 18" piece of wire he found on the floor and stuck one end in the box.

He left the job that day, giggling to himself, thinking, "You know, years from now some poor slob is going to be pulling his hair out trying to figure out what the heck that's for.....":D

nakulak

Someone took a box, nailed it to a stud. He then took a scrap 18" piece of wire he found on the floor and stuck one end in the box.

He left the job that day, giggling to himself, thinking, "You know, years from now some poor slob is going to be pulling his hair out trying to figure out what the heck that's for.....":D

. . . and thinking, "someday that abandoned thermostadt wire is going to be a violation"."

charlietuna

"DEARBORN, MICHIGAN" gets cold. My guess is a thermostat to call for heat from the furnace to the bathroom zone. My dad (a plumber) installed radiant heat in the bathroom walls and floors and each bath had a timer switch which would bring the furnace on and open the zone valve to that bathroom calling for it. Just go and turn the timer "on" about 15 minutes before your bath and it was nice and toasty in the bathroom!

Status
Not open for further replies.