Tape on #6 Equipment Ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdave

2005 Section 250.119 says larger than #6 AWG shall be permitted to be taped green.

Is there any section that specifically prohibits #6 AWG or smaller from being marked with green tape?

I was trying to fix up a Unlic. electricians work for a friend today.
The guy used black insulated # 6 for equipment grounding conductor.

I didn't have any green # 6 with me, so I taped all exposed wire like I would do with a larger AWG.

Is that ok according to code or am I missing something?

I need to go back for more work. I could remove exposed insulation if need be as it's not much in length.

needs to be inspected.

Last edited:

bphgravity

You already cited the correct section. 250.119 states that "individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green...". Sub-part (A) of this section gives the identification options for conductos #4 and larger ONLY.

Based on your description, your correction is still in violation.

mrdave

You already cited the correct section. 250.119 states that "individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green...". Sub-part (A) of this section gives the identification options for conductos #4 and larger ONLY.

Based on your description, your correction is still in violation.

250.119 (A) is referring only to "Conductors Larger Than 6 AWG." as that is the title of that section.

That section says conductors "larger than 6 AWG" shall be permitted to be taped. It doesn't say " 4 and larger only" any where in that section, read it again.

There is no mention of a prohibition of taping smaller wires. It just says to tape or mark wires larger than 6 AWG.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
250.119 (A) is referring only to "Conductors Larger Than 6 AWG." as that is the title of that section.

That section says conductors "larger than 6 AWG" shall be permitted to be taped. It doesn't say " 4 and larger only" any where in that section, read it again.

There is no mention of a prohibition of taping smaller wires. It just says to tape or mark wires larger than 6 AWG.

check again

250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section.

mrdave

check again

250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section.

It says "shall be permitted to be bare"
Does that mean removing insulation would have to be on entire length of the wire to comply? even the parts inside the conduit that are not visible?

raider1

Staff member
Does that mean removing insulation would have to be on entire length of the wire to comply? even the parts inside the conduit that are not visible?

IMHO Yes, the entire conductor must be bare.

Chris

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It doesn't say "bare at the point of termination" or "bare where visible". It says the "conductor shall be permitted to be bare". I take this to mean the complete conductor.

wawireguy

I think that's nit picking and open to interpretation. What is the intention of the code on this? What point does it serve to not be able to use green tape to identify a smaller than #4 conductor as a ground? If it was bare from point of entry into the panel I think that it would probably pass inspection. Call your inspector and ask him.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I think that's nit picking and open to interpretation. What is the intention of the code on this? What point does it serve to not be able to use green tape to identify a smaller than #4 conductor as a ground? If it was bare from point of entry into the panel I think that it would probably pass inspection. Call your inspector and ask him.

Its not nit picking. The CMPs have drawn a line in the sand.
"Code is Code. We don't like the rules we don't agreee with. They are ok for someone else, but not if they cost us time and money" MH.

bphgravity

Here is a quote by Chuck Mello of UL and CMP 5 in the 2004 ROP when commenting on the rejected Proposal #5-10 Log #1452 whcih addressed this very question:

"The present break in wire size at larger than 6 AWG is reasonable and practical... ...The break at 6 AWG is generally where branch circuit and feeder wiring is divided and it is more likely branch circuit wiring will be accessed for modification after installation, than feeder wiring."

Now you know.

mrdave

I'm headed back to the place today.
I'm taking roll of green # 6 to replace the shoddy work of the previously unlic electrician. I won't get into the 5 other code violations that I already corrected on his one branch circuit!
Also spoke with Head Electrical Inspector today. Owner of building ( My "friend" ) failed to mention that he's been sited already for non permitted work. So much for doing favors. Fortunately it's a short run.
Thanks to all for clarifying section.

Status
Not open for further replies.