Cord Drops and Receptacles in a Fire Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
511.3 a to me seems to state that a Fire Station where engines and rescues are parked may be permitted to be unclassified, since they are generally just stored for use.
its not like a commercial garage or even minor repair garage classification.

Reason I ask is because I'm trying to find the code section that would require ground fault protection for cord drops (for running the block heaters or charging equipment on the trucks) or even convenience outlets for that matter.

Although I see the requirement on a lot of prints for cord drops and outlets to be on ground faults and do agree with it. I'm trying to find the code section that actually requires it.

Thanks,

Jap>

Hendrix

511.3 a to me seems to state that a Fire Station where engines and rescues are parked may be permitted to be unclassified, since they are generally just stored for use.

Reason I ask is because I'm trying to find the code section that would require ground fault protection for cord drops (for running the block heaters or charging equipment on the trucks) or even convenience outlets for that matter.

Although I see the requirement on a lot of prints for cord drops and outlets to be on ground faults and do agree with it. I'm trying to find the code section that actually requires it.

Thanks,

Jap>
Around here, fire departments supersede the NEC. They do what they want to do.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

Not around here. They are still under inspection requirements like everyone else. Just trying to verifiy the requirements on the drawings.

JAP>

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
I have always refered to 511.12 for the GFCI requirements in these type of situations. This section says all receptacles where equipment is to be used. Ask them about liability if they don't provide GFCI protection and see how fast it gets changed out. Even the shoreline drops that connect to the trucks are GFCI protected.

fmtjfw

Lots of VFDs try that. Every year or so a firehouse burns down and consumes multi-$100,000 trucks. But by having Uncle Willy do the wiring they initially saved $500.

Unless you keep the trucks parked outside, it's hard to put the fire out.

don101

GFCI requirement for equipment.

GFCI requirement for equipment.

First time posting..

"511.3 a to me seems to state that a Fire Station where engines and rescues are parked may be permitted to be unclassified, since they are generally just stored for use.

Thanks, Jap"

..I am having the same question as Jap.
Is GFCI protection required for equipment ? ( the block heaters / charging of equipment on the truck).
It seems that presently the GFCI's trip at times, when there plugged into shoreline plugs on the side of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.