600 amp res

Status
Not open for further replies.

normbac

am biding on a residence calling for 600 amp single phase metered panel feeding 3 200 amp panels the calculated load is 551 amps

Question anyone know of a link to this panel type also is the panel sufficient for this calculated load does the 80% rule apply here

iwire

Staff member
Question anyone know of a link to this panel type also is the panel sufficient for this calculated load does the 80% rule apply here

The load calculations should have already carried 125% for continuous loads.

That being the case a calculated load of 600 amps could be supplied from a 600 amp panel.

iwire

Staff member
In my area at 600 amps I am pretty sure it would be CT metering so seeing if a panel shop could make up a 600 amp CT cabinet with three 200 amp service disconnects might be worth while.

I do not know if this could be found off the shelf.

peter d

How about CT cabinet ----->gutter----->3 -200 amp main breaker panels grouped in one location?

Duh! I wasn't seeing the forest for the trees. Assuming main breaker panels, yeah, you're right.

My only concern would be the length of the service conductors inside, hence the disconnect. Without knowing the details it's hard to say.

mdshunk

ok so this would also be the best even if I needed to put 200 amp panels in different locations
No! Save the cost of the 600 amp disco. If your panels are grouped, use 200 amp MB panels. If the panels are distributed, use grouped 200a discos and use them to feed MLO panels.

iwire

Staff member
ok so this would also be the best even if I needed to put 200 amp panels in different locations

It could be tricky trying to use this arraignment

CT cabinet ----> 600 amp disconnect----->gutter-----.3 -200 amp panels under it.

and locating the panel away from the disconnect, you would have to comply with the tap rules.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
no doubt the (3) 200 amp panels would be the economic plan, but with a 551 amp load, getting the diversity correct betwween the 3 panels is going to be a real trick. You might save yiurself a headache to add a 4th panel up front.

mdshunk

My only concern would be the length of the service conductors inside, hence the disconnect. Without knowing the details it's hard to say.
Ya, sometimes you're forced into using one. Cramped quarters, for instance, where you can't get them all reasonably grouped in a short distance. Apartment buildings are another, where you might only have a 600 amp service, but 12 tenant disconnects.

normbac

10 k sq ft home plans are calling for panels on both floors never done this size before hence the confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.