Exit sign requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

Where or when are exit sign required.
Usually I ask the ahj.
Lately our property management have been renting lease spaces as well as upgrading. Of coarse most don't want more exits or e lights unless required.
Any tips or articles would help.

Buck Parrish

I generally put them near the exits :) I'm pretty sure Granger has some books on it, though.

The following is from there web site.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is responsible for promulgating legally enforceable standards which require the use of practices, means or processes that are reasonably necessary and appropriate to protect employees on the job. OSHA incorporates other standards adopted by standard-producing organizations into their own. OSHA promulgated Subpart E of 29 CFR 1910, means of egress, from the National Fire Protection Association NFPA 101-1970, Life Safety Code.
OSHA and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) give the general requirements for means of egress. 29 CFR 1910.35 defines a means of egress in this way: "A means of egress is a continuous and unobstructed way of exit travel from any point in a building or structure to a public way and consists of three separate and distinct parts." They are:

1. Exit access?that portion which leads to the entrance of an exit.
  2. Exit?that portion which is separated from all other spaces of a building or structure by construction or equipment to provide a protected way of travel to the exit discharge.
  3. Exit discharge?that portion between the termination of an exit and a public way.
OSHA requires that "each exit route be adequately lighted so that an employee with normal vision can see along the exit route". 1910.37(b)(1).
OSHA also requires that "each exit must be clearly visible and marked by a sign reading "Exit". 1910.37(b)(2). "Each exit route door must be free of decorations or signs that obscure the visibility of the exit route door." 1910.37(b)(3). "Each doorway or passage along an exit access that could be mistaken for an exit must be marked "Not An " or similar designation, or be identifed by a sign indicating its actual use (e.g., closet)." 1910.37(b)(5).
Exit Sign Requirements
Every sign must have the word "Exit" in plainly legible letters not less than six inches high, with the principal stroke of the letter .75 inches wide (29 CFR 1910.37(b)(7)). (See NFPA 101 7.10 for further specifications.) Where the direction of travel to the nearest exit is not immediately apparent, an exit sign or similar designation with an arrow indicating the direction to the exit is required (29 CFR 1910.37(b)(4)).
Exit Sign Illumination Requirements
NFPA 101 defines the methods of illumination for exit signs:

1. Externally illuminated?the light source is contained outside of the device or legend that is to be illuminated. The light source is typically a dedicated incandescent or fluorescent source.
  2. Internally illuminated?the light source is contained inside the device or legend that is illuminated. The light source is typically incandescent, fluorescent, electro luminescent, light-emitting diodes, or photoluminescent.
  3. Photoluminescent?the sign is illuminated by self-contained power sources and operates independently of external power sources. (Batteries do not qualify as a self-contained power source.)

The face of the photoluminescent sign must be continually illuminated while the building is occupied. The face of the sign shall be illuminated according to its listing from the face of the sign. The illumination has to be a reliable source as determined by the Authority Having Jurisdiction, AHJ. The AHJ is the ultimate arbiter concerning safety practices and safety equipment for a particular locality. The charging light must be of the same type that is specified on the sign.

Photoluminescent signs need a specific type of light and a minimum level of light on the face to assure that the sign will be able to provide adequate illumination in an emergency situation. During illumination the sign shall not be connected to an automatic timer.

In 2000 the NFPA Life Safety Code was updated and now recognizes certain photoluminescent exit signs as an alternative to internally lighted electric powered signs. A photoluminescent sign absorbs light from an activation light source in order to emit light (that is, luminescence). The sign continues to emit light for a time after the activation light source has been removed.

Photoluminescent exit signs are in the category of an internally illuminated sign. The signs are permitted, provided they are listed in accordance with UL 924, standard for safety emergency lighting and power equipment and meet all the requirements outlined in the criteria from the Life Safety Code 101, 2006 edition parts 7.10.7.2.
Every required exit sign must be suitably illuminated by a reliable light source and be visible in both normal and emergency lighting modes (NFPA 101 2006 7.10.5.1). The illuminated surface value of the exit sign should have a value of not less than five foot-candles (29 CFR 1910.37(b)(6)). NFPA 101 2006 7.10.5 has the same requirement (5 foot-candles) for internally and externally illuminated signs, with exceptions made for approved self-luminous or electro luminescent signs that provide evenly illuminated letters; they must have a minimum luminescence of 0.06 foot lambert as measured by a color-corrected photometer.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Where or when are exit sign required.
Usually I ask the ahj.
Lately our property management have been renting lease spaces as well as upgrading. Of coarse most don't want more exits or e lights unless required.
Any tips or articles would help.

When I am tasked with laying out exit signs or discussing them with the AHJ, I try to use a few points of logic. If I am in a room that can regularly be occupied by people not familiar with the room, and any door including one to a closet that doesn't exit to a path of egress is visible, I put an exit sign for the egress route. When there are two ways to go say at the end of a corridor and either direction will lead to an exit door, I either direct them in only one direction or no arrows so that when you get there you can see another exit sign. This is one I have discussed and won with an AHJ. When he wanted arrows in both directions, I walked him around the office space following arrows until we ended up back in a circle. Bottom line, if you come to a place where you can't go because of fire, I can pretty much guarantee that you will turn around and go the other way.

These are not "rules" they are guidelines to help only. The other poster pretty much gave you the rules from OSHA. Also, your building code has guidelines, and it really helps if you can get your hands on the Architect's life safety plan with the paths of egress.

RICK NAPIER

There should be an egress drawing on the original plans designating the egress paths. This is the requirements from 2012 IBC
SECTION 1011 EXIT SIGNS
1011.1 Where required.
Exits and exit access doors shall be marked by an approved exit sign readily visible from any direction of egress travel. The path of egress travel to exits and within exits shall be marked by readily visible exit signs to clearly indicate the direction of egress travel in cases where the exit or the path of egress travel is not immediately visible to the occupants. Intervening means of egress doors within exits shall be marked by exit signs. Exit sign placement shall be such that no point in an exit access corridor or exit passageway is more than 100 feet (30 480 mm) or the listed viewing distance for the sign, whichever is less, from the nearest visible exit sign.

Exceptions:

1. Exit signs are not required in rooms or areas that require only one exit or exit access.2. Main exterior exit doors or gates that are obviously and clearly identifiable as exits need not have exit signs where approved by the building official.3. Exit signs are not required in occupancies in Group U and individual sleeping units or dwelling units in Group R-1, R-2 or R-3.4. Exit signs are not required in dayrooms, sleeping rooms or dormitories in occupancies in Group I-3.5. In occupancies in Groups A-4 and A-5, exit signs are not required on the seating side of vomitories or openings into seating areas where exit signs are provided in the concourse that are readily apparent from the vomitories. Egress lighting is provided to identify each vomitory or opening within the seating area in an emergency.1011.2 Floor-level exit signs in Group R-1.
Where exit signs are required in Group R-1 occupancies by Section 1011.1, additional low-level exit signs shall be provided in all areas serving guestrooms in Group R-1 occupancies and shall comply with Section 1011.5.

The bottom of the sign shall be not less than 10 inches (254 mm) nor more than 12 inches (305 mm) above the floor level. The sign shall be flush mounted to the door or wall. Where mounted on the wall, the edge of the sign shall be within 4 inches (102 mm) of the door frame on the latch side.

1011.3 Illumination.

Exit signs shall be internally or externally illuminated.

Exception: Tactile signs required by Section 1011.4 need not be provided with illumination.

1011.4 Raised character and Braille exit signs.

A sign stating EXIT in raised characters and Braille and complying with ICC A117.1 shall be provided adjacent to each door to an area of refuge, an exterior area for assisted rescue, an exit stairway, an exit ramp, an exit passageway and the exit discharge.

1011.5 Internally illuminated exit signs.

Electrically powered, self-luminous and photoluminescent exit signs shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 924 and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer?s instructions and Chapter 27. Exit signs shall be illuminated at all times.

1011.6 Externally illuminated exit signs.

Externally illuminated exit signs shall comply with Sections 1011.6.1 through 1011.6.3. 1011.6.1 Graphics.
Every exit sign and directional exit sign shall have plainly legible letters not less than 6 inches (152 mm) high with the principal strokes of the letters not less than 3/4 inch (19.1 mm) wide. The word "EXIT? shall have letters having a width not less than 2 inches (51 mm) wide, except the letter "I,? and the minimum spacing between letters shall not be less than 3/8inch (9.5 mm). Signs larger than the minimum established in this section shall have letter widths, strokes and spacing in proportion to their height.

The word "EXIT? shall be in high contrast with the background and shall be clearly discernible when the means of exit sign illumination is or is not energized. If a chevron directional indicator is provided as part of the exit sign, the construction shall be such that the direction of the chevron directional indicator cannot be readily changed.1011.6.2 Exit sign illumination.
The face of an exit sign illuminated from an external source shall have an intensity of not less than 5 footcandles (54 lux).1011.6.3 Power source.
Exit signs shall be illuminated at all times. To ensure continued illumination for a duration of not less than 90 minutes in case of primary power loss, the sign illumination means shall be connected to an emergency power system provided from storage batteries, unit equipment or an on-site generator. The installation of the emergency power system shall be in accordance with Chapter 27.

Exception:
Approved exit sign illumination means that provide continuous illumination independent of external power sources for a duration of not less than 90 minutes, in case of primary power loss, are not required to be connected to an emergency electrical system.

north star

~ ~ : ~ ~ : ~ ~

electricalist,

IMO, ...your best bet is to contact the AHJ to get their direct
input..............You will need to know what building code & edition
is in effect in that particular jurisdiction.

So that the AHJ has a good understanding of what Exit Signs,
or Emergency Egress lighting "
may" be required, ...it is
recommended to carry an accurately dimensioned floor plan
with you when discussing requirements with them. :thumbsup:

~ ~ : ~ ~ : ~ ~

electricalist

That's what I typically do and it's the best way to get to the end result.
Realistically tenants and G.C. s don't seem to want to pay for all that when they can take a chance and see what happens when the inspector does his final.
To me they think if the worst case = 100% cost they spend 60% on what they think will pass and if they need 1 more exit, they spend another 20% and to them they saved 20%

Upnorth

The need for exit signage depends, in part, upon the "occupancy". The locations of exits and exit access requiring exits would depend upon the specific structure, necessary exits, and the protection of the egress.

Here in NH the NH Fire Code enacted NFPA 1 and NFPA 101, including the requirements for location of exit signs, according to type of occupancy. You didn't say what type of spaces were being leased (dwelling units, mercantile, storage) and they each have their own requirements for number, location and (usually) marking of exits.

NFPA 1 (2009): 14.14 Marking of Means of Egress
NFPA 101(2009 (Life Safety Code): 7.10 Marking of Means of Egress, as required by occupancy Chapters 11-43, i.e., chapter X.2.10 .

For instance, not every "exit" needs a sign, in every type and size of occupancy.

Upnorth

Ideally, a "fire safety engineer" would systematically determine locations, size and protection of exits, as well as signage, pull-station locations, etc.

I believe Texas follows the IFC and IBC, if that's where the job is.

Large cities often have their own local amendments to the national codes when they are enacted by the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.