ductless split ac systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

422.31 Motors under 1/8 horsepower - the circuit breaker can serve as the disconnecting means. That works out to 2.5 amps. Most fan coil units on split system ac units run less than that.

shortcircuit2

422.31 Motors under 1/8 horsepower - the circuit breaker can serve as the disconnecting means. That works out to 2.5 amps. Most fan coil units on split system ac units run less than that.

Its not an appliance. It is an air conditioner.

Read 440.1 and then 440.14 gives the required location of the disconnecting means. There is little wiggle room with the exceptions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
TC is not allowed in a residence unless it is in conduit. IMO, it is not the proper cable to use for this application

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
wow! We can't get on the same page today.
I have problem with nm as you must transition in order to run to the outside unit .

How about THIS MC cable from earlier posts. Any problem ?

http://www.southwire.com/documents/M...t_Spec_web.pdf

Sure, no problem with that MC. It is rated for DB so it should be fine but for the cost I would run NM to the outdoor area and install a Bell Box to transition to the unit. That's a lot cheaper than MC cable.

iwire

Staff member
Sure, no problem with that MC. It is rated for DB so it should be fine but for the cost I would run NM to the outdoor area and install a Bell Box to transition to the unit. That's a lot cheaper than MC cable.

I doubt it is cheaper once you pay for the labor and material to change over to THWN.

iwire

Staff member
That would depend on the distance. Last one we did was about 75' away.. IMO- nm- easier to work with in the inside unit.

Do you understand that this cable runs unbroken from indoor unit to outdoor unit, no need for any liquid tight flex or additional boxes?

To each their own for sure but I would use this product if the chance comes up. :)

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Systems Inspector
Note under product description:
Tray Cable is a multi-conductor control, signal or power cable rated for 600 volts. May be installed in raceways, conduit, cable trays, and outdoor locations where supported by a messenger wire. Also suitable for direct burial. Temperature rating at 75�C wet locations / 90oC dry locations.

Kinds hides the fact that TC cable installed inside on other than industrial applications must be in a raceway (NEC 336.12)

When this product was introduced I discussed it with UL as the cur sheet I had did not identify nit as a type MC cable. UL cautioned that the product does require special connectors listed for the use.
It is slowly becoming a popular product for the mini-split installers in this area.

Where are these special connectors located?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You do know that is just PVC Jacketed Type MC right......rebranded in what we call "lateral marketing".

I verified with someone. The 1st link I had did not mention the cable type so I tracked it down and found it was a jacketed MC so I would know which Code section applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.