New Hire demanding holiday/vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

I got a new hire. I would say advanced helper. Can do alot of things if instructed to do, but not much solo without supervision. Has done panel upgrades, ran circuits, programed timers, troubleshoot lots of things. No theoretical knowledge at all but on time, drug free, reliable, answers the phone etc...

What is the going package for a new hire advanced helper these days ???

Cletis

I do not know what the going rate is in OH. I pay Holidays from hire on for Full Timers. Vacation & Sick are 1 week each after 1 year and I don't really care if they are actually sick or just taking a day off, although I prefer a notice if possible

Your talking for helpers right?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Your talking for helpers right?

If they weren't helping they wouldn't stay employed. I have apprentices, or journeymen. No such thing as "helpers".

I could register the office help as an apprentice, but that wouldn't help job sight production.

A top .1 to 1% helper should get paid well enough to keep them or turn them into apprentice and/or journeyman.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My personal opinion is that all of your full time regular employees should get fringe benefits based on the same criteria, regardless of position or wage.

Cletis

My personal opinion is that all of your full time regular employees should get fringe benefits based on the same criteria, regardless of position or wage.

He is considered part-time. Probably average around 30'ish hours per week per year

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
He is considered part-time. Probably average around 30'ish hours per week per year

For Federal purposes, there is no such thing as 30ish. If he works more than 30 hours in any one week, a lot of benefits and requirements kick in. Assuming that you are paying him "on the books", of course.

Cletis

For Federal purposes, there is no such thing as 30ish. If he works more than 30 hours in any one week, a lot of benefits and requirements kick in. Assuming that you are paying him "on the books", of course.

I don't see anything part or full. Here are some excerpts I copied about subject. If you have some other links on this subject can you please post as maybe there is someone else in my position.

[h=2]Paid Holidays Are Not Required[/h]Many employers offer a certain number of paid holidays per year as part of their benefits packages. If you work on a state or federal holiday, your employer must pay you for those hours. There is no federal requirement, though, for employers to pay you when you do not work on a holiday.

[h=2]Vacation Time Is Optional[/h]Although there is no legal requirement to do so, paid vacation time is a benefit that most employers offer voluntarily. An employer who offers vacation time may set limitations regarding how much time you can take off and how much notice you must give. The only restriction is that all similar employees must be treated the same.

For example, the employer may give paid vacation days to all full-time employees without offering the same benefit to part-time or temporary workers. The employer cannot, however, give paid vacation days to some full-time workers but not to others.

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not require payment for time not worked, such as vacations, sick leave or federal or other holidays. These benefits are matters of agreement between an employer and an employee (or the employee's representative).

mkgrady

That would not apply to a business with just a few employees. At what quantity of employees that requirement kicks in I do not know but I think around 30

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I don't see anything part or full. Here are some excerpts I copied about subject. If you have some other links on this subject can you please post as maybe there is someone else in my position.

[h=2]Paid Holidays Are Not Required[/h]Many employers offer a certain number of paid holidays per year as part of their benefits packages. If you work on a state or federal holiday, your employer must pay you for those hours. There is no federal requirement, though, for employers to pay you when you do not work on a holiday.

[h=2]Vacation Time Is Optional[/h]Although there is no legal requirement to do so, paid vacation time is a benefit that most employers offer voluntarily. An employer who offers vacation time may set limitations regarding how much time you can take off and how much notice you must give. The only restriction is that all similar employees must be treated the same.

For example, the employer may give paid vacation days to all full-time employees without offering the same benefit to part-time or temporary workers. The employer cannot, however, give paid vacation days to some full-time workers but not to others.

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not require payment for time not worked, such as vacations, sick leave or federal or other holidays. These benefits are matters of agreement between an employer and an employee (or the employee's representative).

That's some very interesting information. I guess the simple answer is you don't owe him anything. If the labor market is loose in your area, you may get away with it. As soon as things perk up, he'll drop you like a two-bit pistol. For sure don't lead him on saying something like "we offer the usual package" and after he takes off President's Day, he explodes over the short paycheck. Nobody wins that game.

Your best bet is to see what folks local to you are offering their employees, if they're friendly enough to be forthcoming. Or put yourself in his shoes; if you were getting hired into a similar situation, what would you expect?

OK, I took a quick look at my company's policy manual. It doesn't address holiday pay, but for vacation, based on time in service, you can take elegible time at pro-rated value. Let's say you worked 25 hours on average per week last year, and you've been with the company for over a year. You can take 2 weeks of vacation and get 50 hours of pay, as opposed to a full-timer who'd get 80 hours of pay.

Last edited:

btharmy

Give him the same thing the local IBEW electricians get in my area. A weekly paycheck for every hour worked per week. Nothing more. No vacation pay. No sick pay. No holiday pay. I don't understand why so many feel entitled to extras. Sure, it would be nice but it is not required. Go to work = get paid. Don't go to work = don't get paid. It keeps things simple.

I got a new hire. I would say advanced helper. Can do alot of things if instructed to do, but not much solo without supervision. Has done panel upgrades, ran circuits, programed timers, troubleshoot lots of things. No theoretical knowledge at all but on time, drug free, reliable, answers the phone etc...

What is the going package for a new hire advanced helper these days ???

You're contradicting yourself..........which is he, a new hire or he averages 30 hours a week per year? .......... can't be both.

John120/240

Title of your thread has me wondering...He's a New Hire Demanding...
Tell him to be thankful that he has a job. Typically benefits at most company s. don't start until after the employees probationary period. ie 3 months. Have this new guy prove himself first before any further talk about benefits.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Title of your thread has me wondering...He's a New Hire Demanding...
Tell him to be thankful that he has a job. Typically benefits at most company s. don't start until after the employees probationary period. ie 3 months. Have this new guy prove himself first before any further talk about benefits.

The title doesn't seem to go with the rest of the thread.

We never were told what, exactly, were the demands.

Everyone is different, but if I were a 'new hire' making demands, it would be because the employer needed me WAY more than I needed them. That would also mean I had other prospective employers willing to meet my demands, and if I didn't get my way, off I would go.

But....I wasn't a helper, nor was I about to do menial tasks and I certainly did not need any training from my employer for what I was doing. (Specialized electrical work)

So, with no further information, all we can give the OP is what he has to do to keep within the law, which equates to the bare minimum.

I have also found that minimum wage usually means minimum desire to work, capability and productivity. Not always, just usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.